Published on September 25th, 2014 | by Becky Striepe3
13 DIY Halloween Decorations for an Upcycled Halloween Party
Got a Halloween party planned? Save money and resources by making your own DIY Halloween decorations.
OK, so technically you don’t even need to be throwing a Halloween party to make these DIY Halloween decorations. You can use them to just get your house into the spirit of Halloween.
When it comes to DIY decorations, I’m of the “less is more” school of thought. Don’t try to make all 12 of these DIY Halloween decorations. Choose two or three from the list, and go to town! Your party will feel a bit more cohesive than if you go with the kitchen sink approach. Although that method definitely has its merits too.
Beyond Halloween Decor
Making your own Halloween decorations is really the tip of the mindful Halloween iceburg. If you want to go even further, try making your own healthier, vegan Halloween treats. You can also try these ideas for healthier Halloween handouts.
13 DIY Halloween Decorations
1. Chalkboard Mask – Sure, you can wear a mask as part of your costume, but you can also string these up to make pretty Halloween bunting. For a party, you can even leave chalk around and let your guests contribute to the spooky decor by drawing on the masks themselves.
2. Chia Pet Zombies – OK, so this isn’t upcycled, but unlike party store decor, these Chia decorations will last for more than one shindig. And your kids can help you get the party started on these spooky DIY Halloween decorations.
3. Boo Lanterns – Light up your front porch or a winding path with homemade lanterns made from old tin or coffee cans.
4. Halloween Tree – Fallen branches plus whimsical handmade decorations make this spooky take on a DIY bouquet super adorable.
5. Frankenstein Bottle – Wouldn’t these look fun on a mantle or even as a centerpiece on the snacks table at your Halloween party?
6. Fabric Scrap Garland – Turn those skinny, ragged fabric scraps into super simple DIY Halloween decorations.
7. Drunken Farmer – Remember when I said to choose a few things and make a bunch of them? This is the exception to that rule. Think of this large DIY Halloween decoration as a centerpiece for the main room where you’re throwing your shindig.
8. Pumpkin Luminary Jar – This is a fun alternative to carving a Jack-O-Lantern, or you can make these in addition to those traditional DIY Halloween decorations.
9. Pumpkin Napkin Rings – Add some fall flair to your Halloween spread with upcycled pumpkin napkin rings. You can take this even further and make your own reusable cloth napkins from Halloween-themed fabric.
10. Light-Up Ghosts – Create accent lighting on a porch or patio with these spooooooky ghosts! You can make one of these or create a whole swarm. A group of ghosts is called a swarm, right?
11. Solar Jack-O-Lantern – I love this light-up decoration, because it doesn’t use a candle or any electricity. Instead, you let these DIY Halloween decorations power up in the sun, so they can shine all night long.
12. Milk Jug-O-Lanterns – This is a great DIY Halloween decoration that your kids can help you make. Turn old milk jugs into cute, ever-so-creepy Jack-O-Lanterns.
13. Boo Bottles – Turn old plastic bottles into upcycled forever Jack-O-Lanterns with a simple craft kit.