Don’t let New Year’s get the shaft, just because it’s at the tag-end of the holiday season. Celebrate the holiday with all of the hoopla that it deserves with these eco-friendly New Year’s crafts.
1. black-eyed peas. Where I come from (which is, yes, the South), it is a requirement that you eat black-eyed peas on New Year’s Day. How else will you have good luck in the year to come? Here’s an easy way to cook them by starting them in the crock pot on New Year’s Eve.
2. cocktails. It’s not New Year’s Eve without a mixed drink! Here are some classic recipes that use organic, American-made, and sustainably-resourced ingredients.
3. fireworks in a jar. It’s not a holiday without a science project! The best part of this one is that you can pour the entire thing down the sink when you’re done. Oh, and you definitely have the ingredients already in your pantry!
4. gift card mosaic. Upcycle used gift cards into this festive New Year’s decoration. Use it as party decor, or keep it up all year and write resolutions or memories from the year on it.
5. goal board. A vintage picture frames makes a lovely setting for your goals for the year–leave it up all year, and check each goal off as you accomplish it! If you use it as a party decoration, invite guests to add their goals, too.
6. inspiration board. This clever display is upcycled from a ceiling medallion.
7. memory jar. Set this up on New Year’s Eve, then add to it all next year. Next New Year’s Eve, look over all of your happy memories again.
8. New Year’s pizza. Here’s a simple dinner that’s also a fun family activity and a festive party food!
9. New Year’s resolution tree. Bring a bit of the outside inside, and motivate yourself to work on your New Year’s resolutions.
10. toilet paper tube noisemakers. If you’re keeping kids up past their bedtimes to welcome in the New Year, distract them from bouncing off the walls for a minute by letting them make these noisemakers out of toilet paper tubes and dried beans.
11. vegan finger foods. No animals have to die for your party nommies.