Published on January 30th, 2014 | by Bonnie Getchell2
Valentine’s Day Ideas: Handmade “Cute as a Button” Valentines
Create fun, handmade Valentine’s Day ideas like these “Cute as a Button” valentines!
Yesterday I shared a DIY button heart hair pin over at our sister site, Feel Good Style. I wanted to create a handmade valentine that could accompany it. Inspired by this “Cute as a button” valentine over at Thirty Handmade Days, I got to work creating my own eco-friendly version!
What You Will Need:
1. Junk mail envelopes or other recycled paper
2. Recycled cardboard. I used a cereal box, but any cardboard that you have on hand will be great!
3. One red vintage button. If you don’t have any buttons on hand, you can make your own buttons out of recycled materials.
5. Black permanent marker
6. Hot glue/hot glue gun
7. School glue. If you can, use eco glue.
8. A pink crayon
How To Do It:
1. Carefully take apart your junk mail envelope. Then, cut a small rectangle out of the envelope. I used the fun patterned side of my envelope for the front of my valentine.
2. Map out how you would like to set up your valentine. I left space on the top left corner so I could clip the button heart hair pin to that side. I also left a spot for the button in the bottom right corner.
3. Once you have it mapped out, write “You’re cute as a button” on the junk mail envelope.
4. Hot glue your red vintage button in place.
5. Cut a large rectangle piece out of the recycled cardboard. I made mine 1 cm. larger (all the way around) than my junk mail envelope. I also made the edges kind of scalloped just for fun!
6. Color the recycled cardboard with your pink crayon. You can color it another color, of course– I simply chose pink because it coordinates with the hair pin and the button.
7. With your school glue, glue the junk mail envelope and recycled cardboard together.
8. After the glue has dried, add your own handmade gift. I clipped my handmade hair pin to my valentine, but you could also attach a DIY vintage button brooch, DIY button earrings, or a recycled paper brooch.