Like I mentioned in yesterday’s post, Buy Handmade: Jewelry Ideas for Mother’s Day, Mother’s day is right around the corner! To make my mom’s day a little bit more special, I wanted to make her a brooch that she could wear all day long. I came across Bargain Bound’s tutorial on how to make Sheet Music Flowers and thought I would combine it with Oh Happy Day’s tutorial about DIY Paper Flower Corsages. Here’s how to make your own recycled paper Mother’s Day brooch:
What You Will Need:
1. Sheet music or other recycled paper. I used the same sheet music that I used in my Sheet Music Bottle tutorial, but you could also use newspaper, an old book, or magazine pages.
4. Hot glue/ hot glue gun
5. One button. I used one that I had left over from another project.
6. A brooch pin. Someone gave me a small bag of them, but you can also find these at your local craft store.
7. A scrap piece of paper for a pattern for your petals. I used a paint chip left over from my Paint Chip Magnets project.
How To Do It:
1. Follow Bargain Bound’s tutorial on how to form the petals of the flower. I followed her tutorial exactly, so I didn’t feel like it would be fair to repeat the same steps here! This is how your flower should look once you’re done hot gluing the petals together:
2. Decide which button you want to hot glue to the middle of your flower. I tried a little yellow button first (my mom’s favorite color is yellow– take into consideration what your mom’s favorite color is as you pick out your button):
However, I decided to go with the large yellow button instead:
3. Turn your flower over and glue the brooch pin to the middle of the flower.
Once everything is dry, your brooch is ready to wear! What do you think? Isn’t it cute?