Are you getting your life ready for a new arrival? You can save money and conserve natural resources by sewing for baby instead shopping at the big box store!
Of course, you shouldn’t feel pressured to make all of your baby’s stuff by hand. When you’re sewing for baby, you want to decide which things are worth it for you to make and which you’re better off buying. There are so many pre-made baby products that are much safer than when we were kids. You can find organic cotton clothing, nursery bedding, and even toys. There are also companies making non-toxic toys out of sustainably-harvested and recycled plastic. So when you can’t make something yourself, you’ve got plenty of options that are healthy for your little one and kind to the planet!
Right! So! The pressure’s off. Take a look through this list and decide what you’ll be sewing for baby! I’d also love to hear about what you’ve whipped up for your kids, so feel free to drop links to your favorite sewing for baby tutorials in the comments!
Sewing for Baby: Tips
Not all of the tutorials below use reclaimed, recycled, or organic materials explicitly, but that doesn’t mean that you can’t choose sustainable fabrics when you’re making them! For the stuffed toys that don’t use reclaimed or healthy stuffing, Try these resources for finding organic sewing notions to make sure that whatever you’re sewing for baby is healthy for him and for the planet!
Sewing for Baby: Toys
2. Bunny Crinkle Toy + printable template
3. Soft Rattle Blocks for Baby
4. Stuffies Made from Old Baby Clothing
Sewing for Baby: Clothes
10 Kid Shorts from an Upcycled T-Shirt
11. Child’s Skirt from an Adult Tee
12. Adult Sweater to Child Leggings
13. Child’s Skirt from an Adult Sweater
15. Baby Tights
16. Resources for Sewing Your Own Cloth Diapers
17. Adult T-Shirt to Baby Jumper
18. Turn a Too-Small Onesie into a Baby Tee
19. Make a Bib Onesie from a Boring Thrift Store Onesie
20. Kid Crown from Recycled Felt
Sewing for Baby: Nursery
21. Make Shooting Star Bunting from Recycled Felt
23. How to Make a Baby Blanket the Easy Way
24. Upcycled Sweater Throw Pillow