DIY Crafts winter-crafts-upcycle-a-pill-bottle-into-a-snowman

Published on November 8th, 2013 | by Bonnie Getchell

Winter Crafts: Upcycle a Pill Bottle into a Snowman!

Winter Crafts: Upcycle a Pill Bottle into a Snowman!

This is quite possibly one of my favorite winter crafts– upcycle a pill bottle into an adorable snowman!

My grandma loved to keep her empty pill bottles for me to upcycle into cute crafts. I recently found a stash of pill bottles she had given me and I was inspired by the hat-like shape that the lid had. This inspiration led me to create an adorable pill bottle snowman that just makes this heart of mine smile!

What You Will Need:

1. An empty pill bottle

2. White and black spray paint. Spray paint isn’t the greenest craft supply, so try to use low VOC spray paint, if possible.

3. Vintage buttons. If you don’t have any vintage buttons in your craft stash, you could make your own buttons from eco-friendly materials or use the awesome and eco-friendly Tagua Buttons!

4. Recycled felt or organic ribbon

5. Two small twigs/sticks

6. A black permanent marker

7. Hot glue/hot glue gun

How To Do It:

1. Clean your pill bottle and remove all of the labels. If you’re having a hard time removing them, check out this eco-friendly way to easily remove labels.

Winter Crafts: Upcycle a Pill Bottle into a Snowman!

2. Once dry, take the lid off the pill bottle. Spray paint the lid black and spray paint the pill bottle white. Remember, when it comes to spray paint, you will get better results if you do multiple light coats rather than one heavy coat.

3. While your paint dries, find two small twigs/sticks from your yard. These will become the arms of the snowman. Then, search through your vintage button stash and find two small, black buttons. Last but not least, cut a long rectangle out of your recycled felt.

Winter Crafts: Upcycle a Pill Bottle into a Snowman!

5. Once the paint dries on your pill bottle, put the lid back on. Now it’s time to put the snowman together! I hot glued the buttons on first. After, I hot glued the “scarf” around the pill bottle. Then, I hot glued the twigs/sticks to the side of the pill bottle.

6. With your permanent marker, draw a cute face on the snowman.

I just can’t handle how cute he is! Now I just have to decide where to display him. Where would you put him?

Tags: , , , , ,

Hello! I'm Bonnie -- a craft nerd, musician, writer, furniture and vintage lover, crafter, and diyer! If you would like to learn more about me, I also have my own blog, Revolutionaries, where I write about more craft projects, furniture redos, and my faith! You can also find me on , Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.

11 Responses to Winter Crafts: Upcycle a Pill Bottle into a Snowman!

1. Laura says:

I am looking forward to doing this; BUT I keep thinking I should put something IN the bottles! 🙂

• KellyN says:

I was looking at and thinking the same. No love for unitaskers. How about filling it with potpourri of essential oils,drilling or punching small holes in the lid for the scent to waft out. You could also make 1 larger hole in the top and insert an led light from a strand on the Tree. It would cast a lovely glow. 🎄❤️

2. Pingback: Make Miniature Snowmen from Old Pill Bottles | Earth911.com

3. Glo says:

What about Tempera paint for kids to do this…with a brush?

• Julie Finn says:

Tempera paint will flake off when it’s dry, so it won’t last, but for kids it’s all about the process, not the product, anyway, so if you’ve got some willing kids and some tempera paint, then I say go for it!

Another paint that would work well with kids and a paintbrush is regular ole’ craft-grade acrylic paint. If you throw some newspaper down and dress your kids in painting clothes, they ought to be able to paint themselves a pretty nice pill bottle snowman that way.

• bluginhm says:

I think model paint would work because it’s made to go on plastic models.

4. Jayne Lockridge says:

I would make it so it could be hug on the Christmas tree. I would put my great nice & nephew name on it.

5. Kristine wickerink says:

I would fill it with M&M and make it a stocking stuffer

6. Jaboett says:

I am going to drill a hole in the top, add a ribbon hanger so it can be an ornament . Might add small candy for a treat!

7. Karen says:

filling with treats or change for the kids was my initial idea. Also, with different size pill bottles…we could make a whole family of snow people. Maybe add some flowers to Mom’s hat. 🙂