Try recycled Valentine’s Day ideas instead of buying new — like turning an empty shampoo bottle into a door knob mailbox!
Unless you make your own shampoo, you’ll find yourself with several empty shampoo bottles per year. We’ve show you how you can turn a shampoo bottle into a sponge holder, but now you can add one more project to the list of how to recycle shampoo bottles — a door knob “mailbox” for Valentine’s Day!
What You Will Need:
1. An empty shampoo bottle or really any small plastic bottle
3. A black permanent marker
4. A ruler
5. A pencil
How To Do It:
1. Clean your bottle.
2. With your ruler, mark how high you would like to have your “pocket.” I made mine 3 inches from the bottom of the bottle. Once I marked the height, I made a straight line across the front of the bottle.
3. Remove the lid to your bottle and begin cutting down the sides. Once you reach the pocket mark that you made in step 2, cut across the front of the bottle.
4. Make a circle on the back portion of the bottle like so:
5. Cut out the hole. Then, round off the top two corners. I also added a little slit to the left side so it would fit over my door knob.
6. It’s time for the fun part– make it pretty! You can even have your children decorate their own door knob “mailbox” with recycled paper and other fun accessories! I simply added a scrapbook paper heart to the front with a hot glue gun and I wrote “Be Mine” on it. I also drew a fun arrow around the top of the bottle with a permanent marker.