Uh oh. Did you forget to pick out a Christmas tree this year? The pickings are getting slim, but maybe that’s for the best. Instead of a sheddy tree that you have to curb at the end of the month, you can make a recycled forever tree that has a lot more heart. I’m loving these recycled DIY Christmas tree ideas!
This post is part of Important Media’s More Love, Less Stuff holiday event. We are working to redefine the meaning of the holiday season to focus more on love, friends, and family and less on just more stuff.
If you did miss the boat on a live tree, you might be looking at buying a plastic Christmas tree. I’ve got some good news and some bad news on that front. Many conventional Christmas trees are made from super toxic PVC. PVC is bad news for your health and for the planet. The good news is that not all plastic trees are crazy toxic. You can find non-toxic artificial trees. If you want a plastic tree, a less toxic polyethylene tree is your best bet. It’s still plastic, but it’s a lot less terrible than PVC.
Of course, the best option for a no-waste holiday is an upcycled DIY Christmas tree. Whether you’re looking for a tabletop tree or a full-sized situation, we have something for you.
12 DIY Christmas Tree Ideas
1. Mini Christmas Tree – Forget the expensive tabletop trees! Rescue a glass bottle from the bin, and turn it into a shiny forever tree.
2. Coastal Branch Tree – Fallen branches, driftwood, or any other scrap wood you can get your hands on would work well in this DIY Christmas tree tutorial.
3. Cereal Box Tree – Turn reclaimed cardboard into a cute recycled tabletop tree.
4. Cardboard Tree – This is another take on the tabletop tree. I love that it has a real tree branch as the trunk!
5. Pallet Tree – No power tools required to make this pallet tree. Instead of cutting the wood, you create the tree shape using lights and ornaments!
6. Another Pallet Tree – This tree does require some tools, but the results are so sweet.
7. Toilet Paper Roll Tree – You know that we love toilet paper roll crafts around here! Why not save ’em up for a DIY Christmas tree!
8. Reclaimed Wood Tree – This is a great project if you have a hodgepodge of wood scraps handy. You can make your reclaimed tree as big or small as you like.
9. String Art Tree – Put your string art skills to work and turn some empty wall space into a cool, modern DIY Christmas tree.
10. Found Objects Tree – Clean up some litter, and turn it into a DIY Christmas tree!
11. Ornament Tree Mobile – Got some glass ornaments in your stash? Use fishing line to turn them into a suspended DIY Christmas tree.
12. Pine Cone Tree – These are the cutest pine cone trees that I’ve ever seen!