Published on November 13th, 2014 | by Becky Striepe1
10 Thanksgiving Crafts + Recipes to Deck Your Table
The Thanksgiving countdown is on! Are you planning your Thanksgiving tablescape and menu yet? Here are some Thanksgiving crafts to help you out!
We have a couple of weeks until Thanksgiving, so if you want to cook from scratch and create a some DIY pieces for your tablescape, now is the time to start planning.
Thanksgiving Crafts for a DIY Tablescape
Get your place cards, centerpieces, and napkin ring ideas here!
1. Gratitude Place Cards – These upcycled place cards do more than show your guests where to sit. They’re an activity! Encourage your family to write down something they’re thankful for on the back, then read them aloud or string them up like garland with clothespins!
2. Paper Leaf Centerpiece – You only need five items to make this simple, fall-themed centerpiece for your Thanksgiving table.
3. Glitter Jar Centerpieces – Grab some old glass jars and turn them into sparkly centerpieces. You can fill them with wildflowers, herbs from your container garden, or even fallen branches.
4. Washi Tape Napkin Rings – Turn paper towel or toilet paper tubes into simple, modern napkin rings for your tablescape.
5. Pumpkin Napkin Ring – Paper tubes and book pages are the key to these sweet, upcycled napkin rings.
6. Recycled Paper Napkin Rings – Make these woven napkin rings from recycled paper or paper you would have otherwise tossed. Book pages, sheet music, or junk mail would all work well for this tutorial.
From-Scratch Thanksgiving Recipes
Our household waste explodes during the holidays, and cooking those big holiday meals is part of that spike. Get crafty in the kitchen to produce less waste by cooking from scratch rather than buying processed, prepackaged foods.
7. Homemade Pumpkin Puree – Canned pumpkin puree is convenient, but it’s actually pretty easy to make your own from scratch. Check out the video tutorial for making your own! Crunchy Scott has a secret for making your pumpkin puree taste extra pumpkiny with no added ingredients.
8. Homemade Cranberry Sauce – You can make your own cranberry sauce in about 20 minutes from start to finish. You’ll never buy the canned stuff again!
9. Olive Oil Drop Biscuits – Skip the biscuits from the non-recyclable can. The beauty of drop biscuits is that they don’t need kneading or time to rise. Making them is as easy as making cookies.
10. Crock Pot Applesauce – Skip the jar and make applesauce in the crock pot. This no-sugar-added recipe is easy to make and only uses two ingredients!
cranberries photo via Shutterstock