These colorful DIY napkin rings are made from an old paper towel tube!
We don’t use a ton of paper towels around here, but there are certain jobs that still have me reaching for the roll. See: cleaning the cat box. Any toilet paper roll craft works just as well with a paper towel roll. You just cut that tube in half or thirds, and you’re ready to rock! You can get six to eight DIY napkin rings from one paper towel tube, depending on how wide you cut them.
Related: Vintage Film Series Taught Upcycling Before It was Cool, 50 Toilet Paper Roll Crafts You Need to See, Practical Tips for Planning an Eco-Wedding
If you don’t have paper towel tubes, you can also make these DIY napkin rings from toilet paper rolls. You’re going to cover and seal them, so don’t worry about the ick factor too much here.
DIY Napkin Rings
- 1 paper towel tube or two toilet paper rolls – Get all of the bits of paper off before you start.
- white paint and a paint brush or white spray paint
- washi tape in colors/patterns of your choice
- Matte Mod Podge + paint brush
1. Cut your paper tube into 1″ wide rings. You’ll end up with 6-8 pieces. It’s OK if the tube gets a little bit smushed during the cutting process. Just shape the rings. Once you paint, cover, and Mod Podge, your perfect little circles will be back.
2. Paint your tubes white, inside and out. You can either use your paint brush and white acrylic paint or white spray paint. Your choice! Either way, let those rings dry completely.
3. Cover your rings with washi tape. Unless you are the most accurate cutter in town, your tape is going to stick up above the top of your paper rings. That’s ok! Just lay the tape, then use your scissors to carefully trim off the excess.
4. Paint the insides and outsides with your Mod Podge. Let the rings dry completely, then do a second coat of Mod Podge. Let them dry overnight before setting your DIY napkin rings on the table.
10 CommentsLeave a Reply
Great idea never thought of this one 🙂
Hi! I did a round up about crafts with toilet paper rolls and yours was great so I thought it would be great to include it, I hope this is ok for you. I provided your link and give credit to your site, here’s the post in case you want to check it: http://sweethings.net/15-different-uses-for-toilet-paper-rolls/
This is great!! I will make it for my handicraft project! I really like it please make
more DIY projects from cardboard tube.
I covered my napkin rings with wide metalic
ribbon. Then I decorated them with 2 large sequin holly berry leaves and a red sequin
In the middle for a berry. They were so pretty on my Christmas dinner table.
Here it is hanging, my kids loved helping hunt down a twig to serve as the hanger after watching me embroider it. You can make one of these in a weekend, only because you need to let the paint dry before you start stitching. It would be easy to switch up the style with different colors or fabric choices! What other words would you put on a pennant ornament?
5 Pings & Trackbacks
Pingback:Eat Drink Better | Healthy recipes, good food: sustainable eats for a healthy lifestyle!
Pingback:Crafting a Green World | The home for green crafts and tutorials!
Pingback:10 Toilet Paper Roll Crafts -
Pingback:15 Different Uses for Toilet Paper Rolls - Sweet Things
Pingback:You have to see this genius craft idea that's made from toilet paper tubes - DIY