Published on March 21st, 2014 | by Bonnie Getchell0
DIY Furniture Projects: Turn a Boring Table into a Chalkboard Table!
Whenever I have a piece of furniture that sits too long in my craft booth, I like to revamp it so it sells faster. A quick and budget-friendly way to add a little fun and character to a boring piece: chalkboard paint! I took a plain round table from my booth and gave it a makeover to make it worth buying even more than before!
What You Will Need:
1. A boring table that needs a makeover. This is what mine looked like before:
4. Painter’s tape
How To Do It:
1. Sand the top of your table. If your table is in good condition, simply sand it lightly. If your table has nicks or scratches, I would recommend sanding them as best as you can. Remember, you will be writing on the top of the table with chalk, so you will want it to be as smooth as possible.
2. Wipe off any dust off of the table with a damp cloth. Make sure your surface is completely clean and dry before painting.
3. I only painted the top of my table, so I had to tape off the rest of the table with painter’s tape and recycled paper.
4. Chalkboard paint it! Read the directions on your chalkboard paint to find out how long it will take to dry and cure. Mine recommended allowing it to dry for 24 hours. Then, it told me to color the entire surface with chalk before writing anything specific.
5. Write on it!
Isn’t it so fun? I can’t wait to put it back in my booth! Now it’s a great conversation piece that is sure to sell quickly! I can imagine it in a playroom or child’s room, or even as a quirky piece in a living room. You can leave little messages on it or draw something fun!
What would you do with this cute chalkboard table? Share your thoughts with us!
Leftover chalkboard paint? Try these projects, too:
- Create a Kitchen Chalkboard
- DIY Lighting: Revamp a Boring Light Fixture with Chalkboard Paint
- DIY Decor: Make a Chalkboard Picture Frame
- How to Make Chalkboard Art from an Old Candy Box