Published on November 1st, 2013 | by Bonnie Getchell5
Holiday Crafts: Make a Christmas Sign with Vintage Buttons!
It might be a little early for holiday crafts, but who can resist a Christmas sign made with vintage buttons?
I know what you’re thinking. Christmas already, Bonnie? Yes, I know Halloween was yesterday, but in craft booth world, the time for Christmas is now. In fact, I’ve been preparing for Christmas this entire month. So, whether or not you are ready for Christmas, remember that you can always pin this project for later!
What You Will Need:
1. An old sign. I find these often at thrift stores and garage sales, but you could also achieve the same look in a picture frame (just like I did with the Button Fall Art project). My sign was an adorable to begin with, but just not exactly my style. Here’s what it looked like before (excuse the painter’s tape):
2. Vintage buttons. Like I’ve mentioned before, I received a rather large button collection from my grandma, so I’ve been using them like crazy. If you don’t have any vintage buttons on hand, you can make your own buttons from recycled materials.
3. Spray paint. Use a low VOC spray paint if you can– it’s more eco-friendly!
4. Hot glue/hot glue gun
How To Do It:
1. Depending on the sign, you might want to update it with a fresh coat of paint. I used a nice Christmas-y red on mine.
2. Once the sign is completely dry, arrange the buttons on the sign. It took me a few tries to get the spacing right.
3. Then, hot glue the buttons to the sign. Be extra careful with the hot glue gun– the buttons are super small, which makes it easy to burn your fingers!
This adorable Christmas sign is ready for my booth now! What craft ideas are you working on for this Christmas? Have you even thought about it yet? I can’t wait to get started on some handmade Christmas gifts, too!
Keep up with the latest in the world of green crafts by signing up for our free newsletter. CLICK HERE to sign up!