Holiday Crafts 10 DIY Valentines Day Gifts for Him

Published on January 28th, 2012 | by Becky Striepe

10 DIY Valentine’s Day Gifts for Him

10 DIY Valentines Day Gifts for Him

Can you believe that Valentine’s day is just a couple of weeks away? Don’t fret! You still have time to make it a romantic, handmade holiday!

Making gifts for men is always hard for some reason. With a girlfriend, you can whip up a cute accessory or give her something cute for the house, but when it comes to gifts for him, I get stumped. For men, you need to dig a little bit deeper, right? What does he like to do? Does he have a hobby or a problem you can fix with something handcrafted? Functional gifts seem to go over well with the fellas. Here are some DIY Valentine’s day gifts for him that are fun to make and functional!

1. Is your fella into gadgets? You can make him a custom case for his Kindle! If Kindle isn’t his gizmo of choice, just change up those dimensions to fix his favorite thing: an iPhone, Nintendo 3DS, or whatever he’s toting around that needs a little bit of protection.

2. Is he super into his iPhone? Whip up a pair of iPhone gloves using conductive yarn mixed in with your favorite eco-friendly yarn!

3. Does he need some help in the organizational department? Maybe a handmade, reclaimed paper planner is in order.

4. If writing is his thing, you can make him a custom journal that’s just his speed.

5. Is he really into sports? Make him a t-shirt scarf in his team’s favorite colors. Just hit the thrift store to stock up on tees.

6. Is your sweetie a beer drinker? Make him a felt beer cozy to keep his hands warm and his drink cold. Just make sure you go for recycled felt to keep this project eco-friendly.

7. Does he love riding bikes? Track down a couple of second-hand backpacks and make him a  bike pannier to tote everything when he’s on the go.

8. Is he more of a homebody? If he digs hanging out watching movies and TV, make him his very own custom throw pillow to keep him cozy! You can fancy it up with a DIY stencil to make it 100% him.

9. If he spends a lot of time on his computer, you can make him a custom mouse pad! What I like about this tutorial is that it uses cork, which is a sustainable material, in place of the neoprene foam that you see in most mouse pads. You can decorate it with reclaimed or organic fabric to make this a pretty green project!

10. Are winters not his fave? Keep him warm, cozy, and manly with a handmade neckwarmer (no knitting required!).

Do you have any DIY Valentine’s day gifts for him in the works? Share away in the comments!

Tags: , , , ,

Hi there! I'm Becky Striepe, a green crafter and vegan foodie living in Atlanta, Georgia with my husband and two cats. My mission is to make eco-friendly crafts and vegan food accessible to anyone who wants to give them a go. If you like my work, you can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, and .

15 Responses to 10 DIY Valentine’s Day Gifts for Him

1. Gina says:

This post is more than a little heteronormative, which frankly surprised and depressed me. Wouldn’t it be easy to assume that not all crafters are straight women, especially given your fairly liberal-sounding credentials (vegan, eco-friendly, etc)?

• That’s a good point, Gina – this post could come off that way. I wasn’t making that assumption, just speaking from my own experience, but I can see how it could seem that I was. What would you have done differently to make this more accessible to everyone?

• Liz says:

Becky, you did a good job with this article. This is a site about crafting, so one should expect ideas exactly for that. It’s pretty clear from the title: a DIY gift!

• Julie Finn says:

Dude crafts are dude crafts–I don’t think the post necessarily assumes that you’re a chick if you’re reading it, just that you might want to craft something for a dude. Dudes are allowed to craft for other dudes. If you want to craft for a chick, you check out a post that offers up stuff to craft for chicks. If you want to craft for me, you check out posts that offer up stuff to craft for butch, fangeeky, uber-nerdy chicks.

2. Juanita M says:

I rarely post and even less often respond to another comment. At this point, I only see one comment which is negative and unnecessary. To cover all the areas that might interest each one who might read this post is impossible and impractical. None of these suggestions would be of interest to my husband but they are of interest to most people who have interests generally considered male oriented. Becky, I don’t see how you could have done any differently and you did a very good job. You gave me some good ideas for other family members for other holidays even though “my Valentine” wouldn’t be interested in any of them for Valentine’s Day.

3. the holla says:

Oh no, do I have to be the feminist police today? These gifts are creative, useful, and interesting. The post was well-written and thoughtful. Any romantic partner would be lucky to receive one of these handmade gifts.

But to say that women will be happy with any cute household item or accessory is seriously sexist. With men, you have to actually think about their interests? Don’t women have interests, too?

• I hear ya. I guess in my experience the “easy” guy gifts are things that I can’t as easily make by hand. I can’t sew an iPad, unfortunately. My girlfriends tend to dig things like scarves, home decor stuff, and little art pieces more than my guy friends. Sorry if I offended anyone! I hope the feminist police let me off with a slap on the wrist this time around. ;)

4. Jackie says:

These ideas are adorable! You have to add this post to the list of Valentine gift ideas for him >

5. Kim says:

Becky, you did a good job. Some people are just always out to fight about something. I was looking for “Valentines gifts for him 2012″ in the search engine. Your post is one of the things I found, and it was creative and useful. It’s for valentines day, if someone has a problem with your post being gender specific they should go find “ambiguous gifts for valentines day” lol. Good job, keep up the good work. Gina—ease up on life, it might help you in the long run and your love life. :)

6. Thank you so much for this amazing gift guide and thanks for including us. Fabulous post :)

7. Lita says:

I really appreciate your response to what seems like well intended criticism. I didnt see in my skimmings any suggestions as to how to make it more accessible. Since you were nice enough to consider asking for suggestions rather than being a meanie I would like to offer my 2 cents.

First I would like to begin with the fact that I did appreciate this article. I was clearly thoughtful.
    However stating that women are easy to find gifts for is a little presumptuous. It implies that we all want jewelry and teddy bears. It also seemed (which as you stated you were writing from your own experience) as though this were targeted for straight couples.
    But mostly, women can enjoy these gifts too. For instance I’ll be making one of those books for my girlfriend via your suggestion. I hadnt even thought of that and its a great idea.

Also, I havent signed up for being notified of comments. So in advance, sorry if I offend anyone, or misrepresented my well intentioned totally not aggressive comment.

8. Dude Here says:

This list makes me want to date a crafter. Can’t wait to see the followup on valentine’s day crafts for non-hetero couples.

9. Claudia says:

I understand the dilemma here. I made some up cycled bracelets for Valentines Day. Most were what I’d consider typically “feminine.” I made something different, more typically “masculine.” what to call it? I wanted to sell it as a gift, and I was ,mindful of Etsy’s keyword tips. People search Etsy for “gifts for men.” so that’s what I titled the listing for this bracelet. But not just men would like it.
    Here’s the bracelet, FYI: