Published on January 6th, 2015 | by Crunchy Scott0
Make a Lego Memory Jar from an Old Vitamin Bottle
I get some of my best craft inspirations from my family. My latest creation is actually a combo craft from two very clever relatives.
I owe the memory jar idea to my sis. She’s making one with my nephew Harrington so he can store trinkets, notes, and souvenirs over the next 12 months. On New Year’s Eve, they’ll open the jar and recall all those fun memories associated with whatever he put inside the jar.
Another nephew of mine named Anthony is a real Lego-aholic. He spends hours building, imagining and inventing all sorts of cool stuff. As we were soaking in all the awesomeness at the Lego Store this weekend, it hit me – a Lego memory jar would be totally rad! I can’t think of a better craft project to kick off 2015!
Make a Lego Memory Jar
What you’ll need:
- Empty vitamin bottle
- Yellow spray paint
- Black craft paint
- White craft paint
- Small jar lid
- Glue (E6000 or hot glue)
Prep your vitamin bottle:
- Run extremely hot water into your vitamin bottle for 1-2 minutes.
- Let the hot water sit in the bottle for 2-3 minutes.
- Peel away the label. The heat from the water should make this super easy.
- Dry the bottle well.
- Spray paint the vitamin bottle, its lid, and the extra lid.
- Let them dry and then give everything a second coat.
- Let this coat dry completely.
Make a face:
- To look like a Lego head, your jar will need eyes, eyebrows and a tiny mouth. If you want, use a black marker to trace on these features. It’ll make the painting go a lot smoother.
- I use a round foam brush to paint on the black eyeballs. You can also use an old wine cork to stamp them on.
- Use a paintbrush to paint on the eyebrows and mouth.
- When the black paint is dry, give the eyes two small pupils with the white paint.
- When all the paint is dry, screw on the lid and then glue the extra lid to the bottom of the jar. This will be your Lego head’s neck.
Throughout the year, fill your memory jar with shells, tokens, tickets and reminders of all the fun you’ll have in 2015!