Published on January 3rd, 2014 | by Bonnie Getchell3
Reduce, Reuse, Redecorate: How To Recycle a Camping Stool into a Side Table
Do you have a New Year’s resolution to be more eco-friendly? Your decor counts, too! Reduce, reuse, redecorate — recycle a camping stool into an unique side table!
I found a cute (but, rough-looking) camping stool at a garage sale for $1 and knew I wanted to turn it into a small side table. I went back and forth for a few months on what to use for the top of the table, though. I had some leftover scrap wood pieces from another DIY furniture project that inspired me to put my plan into action!
What You Will Need:
1. An old camping stool
2. Scrap wood. Mine had already been white washed, so I left them like that.
3. A drill or screwdriver
6. Sand paper
How To Do It:
1. Sand your camping stool. Then, clean it with a damp rag.
2. Remove the fabric portion of the stool. This is an optional step, but I removed mine because it was in such a bad condition.
3. Paint the remaining base portion the color of your choice. I chose a nice gray color– the same color I used for the vintage metal cart redo that I shared on Feel Good Style.
4. Once your paint has dried, arrange your scrap wood on the top of the stool.
5. You’ll basically flip everything over (like the picture below) and then screw the base of the camping stool to the wood. Make sure you choose a screw that is long enough to reach the wood top, but won’t break through. No one likes a sharp screw coming through the top of their table, right?
Now your side table is ready to go! Style it with some DIY projects like a sheet music tree (pictured above), recycled map art, graphic text art, button art, or an old book picture frame (just to name a few). If you have an old camping stool that you want to use as a table, but don’t want to alter at all, you can simply add a metal tray to the top like this How To Recycle a Camping Stool tutorial from Jaderbomb, too!
Keep up with the latest in the world of green crafts by signing up for our free newsletter. CLICK HERE to sign up!