Published on December 13th, 2013 | by Bonnie Getchell0
Christmas Crafts: Turn a Coffee Can into an Eco-Friendly Gift Box
Give your Christmas crafts and handmade gifts in an eco-friendly gift box!
We have tons of tips and ideas for green holiday gift wrapping and enjoying an eco-friendly Christmas, so when I found myself with an empty coffee can, I thought, “An eco-friendly gift box!” I love wrapping my gifts in a certain way so that the recipient can’t figure out what it is! This “gift box” of sorts will not only help disguise my gifts, but will allow me to give my gifts in a cute way. Here’s how you can make your own:
What You Will Need:
1. An empty coffee can. I used a small one, but you could use a large can as well.
2. Recycled paper. I used sheet music, but you could use book pages, newspaper, or junk mail envelopes, too.
6. A red and green marker (or crayons)
How To Do It:
1. Clean your coffee can.
2. Attach your recycled paper to the coffee can. I simply taped mine to the can, but you could decoupage the recycled paper onto the can as well.
3. Cut off any excess paper.
4. Spray paint the lid of your coffee can. I painted mine black.
5. While your lid dries, create a gift tag for the front of the can. I cut a Christmas tree shape out of my recycled paper and highlighted the edges with a green marker. With a red marker, I wrote who “To: Mom, From: Bonnie.” Then, I taped the tree to the front of the coffee can.
6. The paper bow on top of the lid might seem tricky, but it’s not, I promise! You will start with a strip of recycled paper (around 1 inch thick) and then loop it like so:
With each loop, tape it at the bottom to keep it in place. You might have to add another strip of paper to make the bow fuller. I used two strips to make my bow.
7. Once you’re finished, tape or hot glue it to the lid of your coffee can.
I’m so thrilled with how it turned out and I can’t wait to give it to my Mom!
How do you like to wrap your Christmas gifts? Share your tips and tricks with us in the comment section below!
Keep up with the latest in the world of green crafts by signing up for our free newsletter. CLICK HERE to sign up!