Published on December 5th, 2013 | by Bonnie Getchell2
Reduce, Reuse, Redecorate: Upcycle an Old Mirror into a Magnetic Board
Reduce, reuse, redecorate– upcycle an old mirror into an awesome magnetic board!
Over at Feel Good Style, I shared how to transform an old medicine cabinet into a unique shelf. I only used the base of the cabinet for the shelf, though, and was left with a broken mirror. I loved the shabby chic frame of the mirror, though, so I upcycled it into a magnetic board!
What You Will Need:
1. An old, broken mirror. In order for the magnetic board part to work, you will specifically need a mirror with a metal backing. If your mirror doesn’t have a metal back, try transforming it with chalkboard paint, magnetic paint, or even wine corks! This is what mine looked like before:
2. A hammer
3. A piece of cloth that is large enough to cover your mirror
5. Safety goggles
How To Do It:
1. It’s time to remove the mirror! For your mirror, you might be able to simply remove the back and pull the mirror out. For me, though, the back of the frame could not be removed (it was welded to the front), so I had to break the rest of the mirror in order to remove it. If you have superstitions about breaking mirrors, back away slowly from this post and pretend it never happened. Or just skip to step 6.
2. Put your mirror on a flat surface with the mirror facing up. Put the cloth over your mirror. The cloth will help keep the pieces of the mirror in place rather than hitting you in the face. Speaking of pieces of mirror hitting you in the face, I highly suggest wearing gloves and safety goggles during this entire process. It’s better to be safe than sorry!
3. With the cloth over the mirror, hit it with your hammer! This was my favorite part!
4. Remove the cloth and carefully pick up the pieces of the mirror. I saved mine in a jar for future craft projects.
5. Clean up the remaining pieces of the mirror with a rag or small broom.