10 Upcycled Map Craft Projects
1. Map Boxes – This project uses new boxes from IKEA, but you could cover storage boxes that you find at the thrift store or that you already have to make this a truly upcycled project.
2. Map Art – Commemorate a special trip or time in your life with lovely, framed map art!
3. Origami Map Boxes – This tutorial calls for using old calendar pages, but old maps would also make beautiful treat boxes!
4. Map Lantern – Use hot glue and a circle punch to give an old paper lantern a geographical face lift!
5. Map-Lined Envelopes – Give boring, recycled paper envelopes a little oomph by adding a map lining.
6. Paper Heart Garland – It’s easy as pie to string together a sweet, simple paper heart garland from an old map.
7. Map-Covered Vases – Thrift some cylindrical or rectangular vases, and cover them with maps. You could also use old tin cans for this project. Instead of using a toxic glue like e600 to adhere the map to the vase, try wrapping the map tightly around and gluing it to itself with a nontoxic glue stick. A layer of mod podge painted over the whole thing will help seal your map so the colors don’t run if you aren’t super precise while you fill your vases with water.
8. DIY Globe Garland – Get your 3D origami on!
9. Mapping Paper – Reusable gift wrap is your greenest option, but in a pinch old maps make beautiful upcycled giftwrap!
10. Map Lamp Shade – Make an old map new again by covering the old shade with a pretty map.
Image Credits: Map Boxes photo via IKEA Hackers; Map Garland photo by Becky Striepe