I’ll just come clean: I *heart* washi tape crafts! What I love most is how washi tape can add such a cheerful burst of color and a modern feel to my upcycled craft projects.
I think there’s an idea that upcycled crafts have to have a certain type of handmade look. Sure, washi tape crafts also can look handmade, but I think the splash of color and texture gives the finished product a modern feel that you don’t always get when you’re upcycling.
The washi tape crafts below range from home decor to games for kids to a tute for making your own washi tape from any paper you like. There’s something for everyone so enjoy the washi tape eye candy, and pick your fave!
15 Upcycled Washi Tape Crafts
1. DIY Washi Tape – Double your upcycling power with washi tape made from reclaimed paper!
2. Napkin Rings – Washi tape and Mod Podge turn bin-bound cardboard into a reusable addition to your tablescape.
3. Pencil Holder – Turn a boring old pencil holder cute without replacing it. Just add washi tape!
4. Upcycled Pencil Holder – Don’t have an old pencil holder? Check turn an old tin can into a beautiful desktop organizer with the power of washi tape.
5. Outlet Covers – Isn’t it crazy how replacing switch plates and outlet covers can make a room look instantly cleaner? Instead of buying so much new plastic, you can cover old plates with washi tape for a colorful refresh.
6. Travel Checkers – This bottlecap checkers game with washi tape embellishments is perfect for keeping kids busy.
7. Phone Case – Instead of buying a new plastic phone case, cover your old one in washi tape.
8. Make a Rainbow Table – Sick of your boring white IKEA furniture? Don’t replace it with something new! Give it a colorful make-over that – bonus! – hides stains and discoloration.
9. Decorative Jars – Turn old jam and jelly jars into cute storage containers or mini vases with simple washi tape details.
10. Update Your Shades – Use washi tape to make over a boring pair of sunglasses.
11. Coasters – Got some tile left over from redoing the kitchen or the bathroom? Turn them into colorful washi tape coasters.
12. Make a Plain Old Box Decorative – Turn a gift box into a real keeper with washi tape.
13. Cardboard Castle – Your kids will love helping you construct this child-sized play castle from old cardboard boxes and helping you deck it out with washi tape details!
14. Decorative Basket – Turn a boring thrifted basket into a cheery decor piece.
15. Make Wall Art – Grab a piece of old cardboard and transform it into gorgeous typographic wall art.