Published on October 10th, 2013 | by Bonnie Getchell1
Halloween Crafts: DIY Chalkboard Halloween Mask
Do you or your children want a cool Halloween mask, but don’t want to buy a far-from-eco-friendly plastic one at a big box store? Create your own with recycled cardboard and chalkboard paint!
What You Will Need:
1. Recycled cardboard
2. Twine. If you can, use hemp twine.
4. A hole punch
5. A pencil
How To Do It:
1. Draw a mask onto your recycled cardboard. I simply searched for a mask image on a search engine. Once I found one that I liked, I put recycled paper up to my computer, and traced it from there.
2. Cut it out.
3. Chalkboard paint it!
4. Follow the directions on the chalkboard paint for the dry and cure times. The paint that I used suggested that the paint cured for 24 hours before writing on it.
5. Punch holes in each side of the mask.
6. Attach a piece of twine to each hole. Once you put the mask on, you will simply tie it in the back.
7. Decorate it!
Here are some fun ideas that you can create with your chalkboard mask:
- Add ears to your mask, and then draw on whiskers with chalk to create a cute cat mask
- Draw huge eye lashes on the mask for a fun, girly look
- For an eco-friendly Halloween party, write each of your guests’ names on a mask– the masks can double as place settings and a gift
- Make a superhero mask by cutting the mask a little differently (a more edgy design), then decorate it with colored chalk