Published on September 26th, 2013 | by Bonnie Getchell2
DIY Home Decor: Turn a Wooden Spool into a Drawer Knob
Turn a wooden spool into a drawer knob!
A few weeks ago, I created an adorable pumpkin from a wooden spool. For whatever reason, the hole in the spool made me say to myself, “Self, you could turn this into a drawer knob!” I’m all about DIY home decor, so that’s exactly what I did! Instead of buying knobs from a big box store, I created my own one-of-a-kind knobs from wooden spools. Not only are they inexpensive to make, but they add tons of character to any piece of furniture!
What You Will Need:
1. A wooden spool. I found mine at a thrift store.
2. A long screw that’s threaded at the bottom (see picture above)
3. A nut that fits your screw
How To Do It:
1. Remove the thread from your spool. I didn’t remove mine in the pictures, but I feel like the knob would look better if the thread was removed. Otherwise, the thread might become dirty over time.
2. Put the screw through the wooden spool.
3. Then, put the screw through the hole in your drawer or cabinet.
4. Tighten the nut to hold the spool in place. You might need a wrench to tighten it completely.
Yes, that is all it takes to make a wooden spool into a knob! Wasn’t that incredibly simple? It adds so much character, right? I can especially see a few spool knobs in a craft or sewing room. Once you realize how easy they are to make, though, you’ll want to change every knob in your home!
What furniture piece would you put a spool knob on? Share your ideas with us in the comment section below or on our Facebook page!
If you’re looking for other DIY home decor/furniture projects, check these out:
- How To: DIY Scrap Fabric Pulls
- 7 Unique Upcycled Furniture Projects
- Painting Furniture: A Shabby Chic Coffee Table
- Creative Recycling: How to Revive an Old Chair
Keep up with the latest in the world of green crafts by signing up for our free newsletter. CLICK HERE to sign up!