Craftivism

Published on March 25th, 2009 | by Becky Striepe

Crafty Reuse: Ten Projects for Old Bottle Caps

[Creative Commons photo by dyanna]

As I’ve confessed before, I’m a hoarder. Right next to that bowl full of used corks is another bowl full of bottle caps. I just can’t bear to pitch them! Also like with the corks, a certain husband has been wondering what in the world I plan to do with all these bottle caps.

Luckily, there are a ton fun projects that I can choose from!

1. Check out this awesome bottle cap folk art mirror from the ’60s! Gorgeous.
  2. There’s an awesome thread on Craftster on making a bottle cap-covered tabletop.
  3. You can use the same idea as the tabletop and make bottle cap mosaic tiles or stepping stones.
  4. Turn a bunch of old bottle caps into a belt.
  5. You can turn one into a really cute pin!
  6. My Amphetamines and My Purls shows you how to make a crocheted beer cap trivet.
  7. For a kid-friendly project, try these bottle cap fridge magnets.
  8. I’m totally digging these beautiful bottle cap push pins from Martha Stewart.
  9. What a cool idea! This globe is made from bottle caps and soda can pulltabs!
  10. Craft Bits shows you how to turn a pair of bottle caps into a cute pair of earrings.

Are there any other cool bottle cap projects that I’m missing? I’d love to hear about what you guys are making with your spent caps!

Tags: , , , ,

My name is Becky Striepe (rhymes with “sleepy”), and I am a crafts and food writer from Atlanta, Georgia with a passion for making our planet a healthier, happier, and more compassionate place to live. My mission is to make vegan food and crafts accessible to everyone!. If you like my work, you can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, and .

13 Responses to Crafty Reuse: Ten Projects for Old Bottle Caps

1. Autumn says:

I have my husband drill little holes in them and use them as buttons :)

2. That’s genius!! Do you do anything to the edges to keep them from snagging your clothes?

3. Sarah says:

I made a basket out of plastic bottle caps but I got the idea from metal caps. My husband bought a basket in Africa made from metal coke caps.

4. Oh wow! What a fantastic idea! I bet that used up a ton of caps, too.

5. Wow! That is totally amazing!!

6. Alan says:

Hi!! I’m a ‘bottle cap artist’ and I wanted to add my two cents to the mix. Please check out my website at http://www.bottlecapartwork.com. I think it speaks for myself.

7. Love the ideas for the little plastic caps, moving on to the detergent caps, downy, furniture polsh, and so on!

8. Pingback: Revamp Old Furniture Instead of Replacing

9. Jessica says:

Hi, very nice list! I also have a hoard of bottle caps and corks. Here is a project I made this winter, bottle cap and cork mushrooms! They are adorable, and I made some into ornaments.
    Bottle Cap and Wine Cork Mushrooms

10. Skylar says:

I spray paint my bottle caps different colors and put the all around my room!

11. Pingback: Insteading | The toughest part of surviving in a post-apocalyptic world is going to be pretending we're not excited about it!

12. Francine Johnson McGee says:

Check out Pinterest for pictures of Bottle Cap Windchimes. One of them has a tutorial, lbut I want a fuller look, like the ones that don’t have tutorials. I’m pretty sure I’ll be able to figure it out, once I get my stash of bottle caps full enough to make the windchime.