Published on October 13th, 2008 | by Kelly Rand10
Halloween is one of my favorite holidays. I love thinking about what my costume is going to be and how to create my perfect look for that year. I think I’ve only purchased a complete costume maybe once or twice in my life. Half of the fun of Halloween is making your own costume.
You too can make your own costume and make it more environmentally friendly with the resources that we here at Crafting a Green World have given you throughout our blog posts. It’s not that scary, just remember these three tips:
- Use what you have first
- If you don’t have the perfect item to create your outfit, then Thrift it.
- If the first two tips have not produced all the items needed for your ghoulish garb, use eco-friendly items such as yarn or fabric to create your monster personality.
Need some motivation for a green Halloween? Here are some eco-inspired costume ideas to get you in the mood for the holiday.
- Global Warming symptom – Sea level rise – Dress in all brown with some white or green on the top half of you to signify land. Fashion a blue sheet or blue fabric around your waist for the sea. Throughout the evening inch the sheet up over your waist to signify sea level rise.
- Carbon Credits – Take your now defunct credit cards and string them down one side of your body. On the other side create replicas of your cards so they mirror the originals. Get it? Carbon credits.
- Smoke stack or Oil Rig – For the oil rig, dress in black and use black duct tape to criss-cross strips of it up your costume. For a hat, take a black trash bag and stuff it in a way that it looks like cartoon oil is coming out the top. For a smoke stack, dress in brown. Use thin cardboard to create a tube-like hat and use cotton balls or left over spiderweb decoration to affix it onto the hat to look like smoke.
- Recycling – This one can go two ways. The first, you can dress up all in green and cut out the recycling symbol out of card board, then attach it to yourself. The other way, is to be recycling. Make a box out of cardboard and fashion it around your waist, then attach various recyclables to yourself and the box.
Have other eco-inspired costume ideas? Leave them in the comments!
[Image credit: Brian Hathcock]
Keep up with the latest in the world of green crafts by signing up for our free newsletter. CLICK HERE to sign up!