Every year on Valentine’s Day I receive some of these yummy chocolates, as I’m sure most people do too (or I shamefully buy them for myself!). Once the chocolates are gone, though, the average person would think these cute boxes don’t really have a purpose. However, if you have a crafty, eco-friendly mind like me, these adorable hearts can have new life! What did I do? I created awesome wall art!
What You Will Need:
1. Chocolate heart boxes (I used 1 large one and 2 small ones)
2. Scrapbook paper. Although I used scrapbook paper, you might want to use old book pages, sheet music, or even junk mail to make this project even more eco-friendly. You can also check out several posts we have on recycled scrapbook paper like the Green Stack Collection, Eco-Friendly Recycled Scrapbook Paper, and Recycled Kraft Paper for Scrapbooking.
5. Glue. If you’re looking for a more eco-friendly version, use Eco-Glue.
How To Do It:
1. Some of my boxes had melted chocolate and such inside, so you will want to wipe down the inside of your boxes first.
2. Separate your boxes. You will use both sides of the box, therefore, you will have two hearts per box. I love that the “lids”of the boxes are thinner than the back portions because it will add different dimensions once they’re up on the wall!
3. Lay out your hearts into the pattern you would like to place them on the wall.
4. Decide what colors you would like to make your hearts. I used 1 page of patterned paper that looked like this for 1 heart:
Then, for the rest of the hearts, I used colors that coordinated with the patterned paper. Here’s what my colors looked like when I laid them out:
5. Turn your heart over and trace it onto your paper.
6. Cut the paper heart out.
7. Glue your paper heart onto the chocolate box heart. I used hot glue when I did mine because it dries a lot faster, but I would recommend using regular school glue– the hot glue got a little lumpy underneath the paper.
Once your glue is dry, you’re done and they’re ready to be hung up!
You could also put pictures in the middle of each heart for a really fun gallery wall, or, put a letter on each heart to form a word/name! What colors or patterns would you pick for your home? Share your ideas on our Facebook wall or in the comment section below!