It turns out that LOTS of people upcycle empty picture frames, and there are a lot of awesome project tutes to turn that empty picture frame into just about anything else that you could ever want or need. Here are my favorites:
Picture Frame Upcycling Pro Tip: When you’re writing on glass–the glass front to a picture frame, say–don’t get so wrapped up in what you’re doing that you forget where your elbows go and you lean on the glass.
If you do, this will happen and then you, like I, will be on the hunt for lovely projects to re-use that nice, now-empty picture frame that you already repaired with wood putty and painted the perfect slate grey.
Surely someone else in the world has an empty picture frame that they’d like to upcycle.
18 Ways to Upcycle an Empty Picture Frame
1. button art. Stitch or glue buttons on to make this 3D art piece.
2. ceiling medallion. Here’s an interesting way to highlight your light fixture.
3. coasters. Scroll down this site to find coasters made from mini picture frames and corks.
4. cork board. Literally. Glue some corks inside a picture frame to make a literal cork board.
5. cubbies. Build a cubby behind your picture frame for wall storage that doesn’t look utilitarian.
6. earring holder. All you need is an empty picture frame and chicken wire!
7. headboard. It is totally possible to thrift a picture frame the exact width of a twin-sized bed.
8. herb dryer. Add window screening to your frames, and you’ve got an excellent way to dry herbs.
9. hidden storage. Hide something ugly behind a pretty picture frame.
10. Instagram display. Teensy clothespins or binder clips are the key to making this revolving display of your favorite Instagram photos.
11. key holder. Cup hooks and an empty picture frame will finally allow you to organize your keys.
12. loom. This is such a cool idea, especially because you can still mount it to the wall.
13. memo board. This project turns an empty picture frame into a memo board.
14. mounted toy. Horrify your children upon their return home from sleepaway camp by mounting their favorite toy.
15. paving stones. Use a picture frame as the mold to create custom cement paving stones.
16. photo prop. This is a really cute way to take a wedding, engagement, or pregnancy photo, especially.
17. table organizer. You could stand this on the table or mount it to the wall next to the table.
18. wreath. An empty picture frame is a great base for an upcycled front door wreath.