We’re normally into all-ages sorts of crafts, but once in a while a crafty gal has got to cut loose! How about fancying up your next cocktail party with a home-made vodka infusion?
Many store bought “infused” vodkas are full of mystery sweeteners and artificial flavors. Keep all those unwanted chemicals out of your cocktail and get creative at the same time! You can even go for an organic vodka.
This infusion recipe only take a few days, so if you get started today, you’ll be all set for any shindigs this weekend! Here are a basic recipe and a couple of flavor suggestions to get you going:
- Basic Vodka Infusion
- clean glass containers – bonus points if you rescue something from the recycle bin! Old juice bottles or large glass jars work great for this.
- funnel, for pouring the vodka into your container
- organic vodka of your choice
- fruits, veggies, and herbs of your choice
- cheese cloth, for straining
- To prepare:
- Clean your glass container out really well with hot, soapy water. Make sure it’s totally dry.
- Cut up your ingredients into large chunks and stab each piece multiple times with a fork. If you’re using fresh herbs, you can leave these whole.
- Put your fruits, veggies, and/or herbs into a glass container, fill with vodka of your choice, and let the mixture steep for 2-3 days.
- Strain your concoction through the cheese cloth a couple of times, trying to get out as much sediment as you can. If you used herbs, you can actually stick them back into the bottle after straining for a decorative touch.
The best part about infusions is that you can get experimental! Try fun combinations of fruits, herbs, and even veggies and see what you get! You can mix these into cocktails, serve them over ice, or combine them with a little simple syrup and soda water to really bring out the flavors in the vodka. If you’re not sure what you want to try, here are a couple of tasty options:
- lemon cucumber – this would be great in a bloody mary or sweetened with a little soda water and maybe a sprig of organic mint?
- basil – totally delicious mixed with pomegranate juice. Fact!
- whole vanilla bean – perfect for making white Russians. White Russians are easy to veganize, too – just substitute almond or soy milk for the light cream
- pear – try mixing this one with raspberry soda
- garlic – yet another infusion that’s great in a bloody mary.
This list is far from comprehensive. Experiment with different flavors, and have fun! Have you made any boozy infusions? Tell us all about it in the comments!
Infusing Vodka – photo by Becky Striepe
Limoncello – Creative Commons photo by Chad Miller