You don’t have to buy storage boxes from big box stores! DIY storage ideas are so much fun to create and will save you tons of money!
After yesterday’s post on 50 DIY map projects for your home, I wandered around my home wondering which item I could makeover with a map. I stumbled upon an old cigar box that contained all of my keepsakes from traveling to Guatemala — perfect for adding a map, right? I got to work transforming my average cigar box into a keepsake box that I love even more!
What You Will Need:
1. An old cigar box or another recycled box (like a shoe box)
2. A map. I didn’t have one on hand, so I printed one that I found through a quick Google search. It would be more eco-friendly to use a vintage map, though.
4. Glue, or you can use Mod Podge.
How To Do It:
1. Clean your cigar box with a rag. Mine had a lot of vintage goodness on it (aka dust).
2. Trace the top of the cigar box lid onto your map.
3. Then, cut it out.
4. Glue your map to the top of the cigar box lid. I used a glue and water mixture, but you can also use Mod Podge. The benefit of Mod Podge it that it seals and protects the paper, but I just used what I had on hand. (Side note: You can glue your map to the entire box, if you’d like.)