Published on May 1st, 2015 | by Bonnie Getchell3
30 DIY Side Table Ideas: Reduce, Reuse, Redecorate!
Don’t buy new — reduce, reuse, redecorate! Today we’re sharing 30 repurposed DIY side table ideas to inspire you!
From the living room to the bedroom, side tables (or night stands) are super important! They hold all of our “stuff” like drinks, cell phones, alarm clocks, picture frames, and adorable DIY decor.
Despite their ordinary purpose, side tables don’t have to be boring!
Switch things up in your home by repurposing, recycling, and upcycling items into unique DIY side tables! You’ll find that your side table will become a focal piece and even a conversation starter! Here are 30 DIY repurposed side tables to get you started.
1. DIY record side table – Is your favorite record too scratched to play? Immortalize it as a totally usable bedside table.
2. Suitcase side table – Find some old table legs at the thrift store or Restore and use them to turn a vintage suitcase into a striking DIY side table.
3. Turn a drum into a stenciled table – Transform a yard sale drum into a decor piece with the power of stencils!
4. Recycle a camping stool into a side table – A salvaved camping table plus scrap wood makes a modern side table.
5. Create two nightstands from a desk – Grab your power tools, kids! Let’s turn an old desk into a pair of matching side tables.
6. Make a plant stand side table – The top of this DIY side table was an old lazy Susan!
7. Repurposed wooden shipping crate table – A sturdy old shipping crate becomes a rolling side table with hidden storage.
8. DIY chalkboard table – A boring, outdated side table gets a fresh new look and added functionality.
9. Tree stump side table – No power tools needed to turn a cool old tree stump into a DIY side table,
10. Decoupage table makeover – Turn an ugly table into a statement piece with a little paper and Mod Podge.
11. Accordion file side table – Did you finally digitize your files? Make a DIY side table from your old accordion file folders.
12. Repurpose an old lamp into a table – A lamp base makes a unique, ornate table base that’s nice and sturdy.
13. Antique milk can side table – If you’re lucky enough to score a cool antique milk can, this is a cool way to incorporate it into your decor!
14. Turn a barstool into a side table – A single old bar stool may not work well in your kitchen, but you can turn it into a side table that blends beautifully in your living room or bedroom.
15. Leaded glass window into table – Leaded glass has such a cool patina, and it makes a great table top.
16. Upcycled shutter table – You might think the shutters would be the top of this table, but they actually work as the supports in place of legs.
17. Spool side table – A giant cable spool – like the sort constructions sites throw out every day – is the base for this nautical knockoff.
18. Create a side table with stacked books – I think we can all get behind this book craft, right? No books are damaged in the making of this side table!
19. Repurposed chair side tables – A pretty old chair with good bones makes a lovely side table.
20. Turn flower vases into a side table – Turn thrift store vases into a side table in 15 minutes flat! I’m assuming that doesn’t include drying time.
21. DIY rolling storage end table – A vintage picnic basket makes a super sweet rolling side table with hidden storage.
22. DIY filing cabinet side table – Turn a mini filing cabinet into a proper side table with legs.
23. Dog bed side table – Turn a vintage side table with doors into a modern table with space for your small dog to snooze.
24. Make a side table from an antique sewing machine – Don’t be bummed about the antique sewing table that’s missing the machine. Turn it into a rustic side table!
25. Wine barrel nightstand – A repurposed wine or whiskey barrel makes a cool side table.
26. Repurpose an urn into a table – An old garden urn makes a perfect base for a DIY side table.
27. DIY nightstand using an old ladder – Dig that old step ladder out of your garage, dust off the cobwebs, and make an almost instant side table.
28. Vintage stool side table – A vintage stool can also be an instant side table, or you can use paint or decoupage techniques to change the look.
29. Stepping stone table – A stepping stone plus a garden urn are all that you need to create this pretty DIY side table that stands up well as garden decor.
30. DIY accent table – An old wire trash bin makes a sturdy base for a DIY side table.
Which repurposed, recycled, or upcycled side table do you like the most? I would love to make a side table from vintage books for my guest bedroom. The room really needs a place for guests to keep all of their “stuff!”