One fallen tree branch, one handsaw, and a couple of easy cuts are all you need to make a ton of natural craft projects.
Wood slices are hard to mess up, and they’re a very versatile craft supply. Add some paint, some wood polish, maybe a drill, and you can make for yourself any of the eleven cut tree branch craft projects listed below:
- checkers: Wood slices from thinner fallen tree branches, sanded and painted, make these easy DIY wooden checkers.
- spin art: Flat slices of wood of any size, set on a pottery wheel or record player and painted, make spin art like these abstract wood circles from HeatherMontgomeryArt.
- building blocks: Wood slices from branches of any size, sanded well, make tree blocks for kids to play with. If you’re feeling extra adventurous, add some angled or curved cuts to the mix. If you want your blocks to look especially nice, peel off the bark and seal each one with DIY natural wood polish.
- art supply holder: Wood slices from thicker branches, drilled with the correctly-sized holes, make holders for crayons, colored pencils, or markers.
- coasters: Slices of beautiful wood, varnished on all sides, make the Natural Branch Coasters from Garden Therapy. What a beautiful way to remember a beloved tree!
- sewing toy: Thin slices of wood, sanded and sealed and drilled with many holes, make sewing toys like this children’s sewing block from Woodrootlings.
- ornaments: Wood slices from thin branches (or last year’s Christmas tree!), painted and drilled for hanging, make ornaments like these ‘Shroom, Vine, and Acorn ornaments from Prairie.Mouse.
- trivet: One wood slice from a very thick branch, lightly sanded, makes the wood slice trivet from 100 Layer Cake. You could sand and varnish it, sure, or just leave it as is. You could even throw it on the bonfire afterwards!
- toy sailboats: Wood slices, drilled to fit tree branch masts, with kid-sewn sails attached, make these toy sailboats from Plain and Joyful Living at Natural Earth Farm.
- candleholder: One thick wood slice, drilled partway through with a paddle bit, makes this wood slice candle holder from Paint Cut Paste. It’s then easy to make a rolled beeswax candle to fit!
- moveable alphabet: Wood slices from very thin tree branches, with letters burned or drawn on, make this tree branch moveable alphabet from Life as a Schoolhouse.
Need more inspiration? Check out eight more wood slice craft projects!