25 days? Who has time for that? A 12 Days of Christmas Advent Calendar is something we all have time to craft up! So let’s do this!!!
If you didn’t have time to whip up a traditional 25 day advent calendar, you’re in luck! This is a crafty 12 Days of Christmas Advent Calendar that’s easy to put together, and it’s one that you can keep from year to year. And maybe next year you can craft-up the other 13 days!
Here’s what you need:
12 recycled containers
spray paint (whatever colors you like)
hair or beauty product containers
margarine tubs (the square ones, like Earth Balance)
baby food jars
When picking out a container, think about the surprises that you’ll be putting into them. Will it be a small stuffed animal, an ornament or a treat? Keep those things in mind. Also, make sure it has a lid and a flat surface for the numbers.
Here’s how you put it all together:
- Separate the tops and lids from your container.
- Stuff the inside of your containers with paper so you don’t get paint inside. It’s better not to paint the inside if you want to put treats in there.
- Spray your containers and lids with primer.
- Let everything dry.
- Spray your containers with whatever colors you like. I chose pink and green. And you don’t have to use spray paint. I needed this project done in a jiffy, so lining them all up and spraying them was easiest. But you can certainly use brush-on craft paints.
- Let everything dry and apply the stickers. Craft stores have number-stickers but you can also find them at home improvement stores.
- Stuff your containers with small presents and let your child, spouse or someone special open one each day until Christmas.
Suggestions for presents:
Small stuffed animals, figurines or toys
Homemade candies (Wrap them in tissue paper)
Retro toys (I put a Rubik’s cube in mine!)