Paper Tissue Paper Flowers

Published on April 15th, 2009 | by Jackie Hernandez

Reuse Sewing Pattern Tissue Paper

Tissue Paper FlowersSewing pattern tissue has a great graphic quality.  If you have some vintage or used sewing patterns laying around, consider reusing them for art, home decor, jewelry, or anything else you can decoupage.  Here are a bunch of inspiring ideas for reusing sewing pattern tissue paper.

1. Craft a pretty bouquet.  Tissue paper flowers shown at top are by Copabananas.
  2. Sewing Pattern Wrapping PaperAdd this to your list of eco-friendly wrapping options.  Wrap up a gift or use sewing pattern tissue in the gift bag.  The cute wraps here are by Lil Fish Studios.
  3. Sewing Pattern Gift TagsComic books and greeting cards make great gift tags, but who would of thought to use sewing patterns.  All they need is a sturdy foundation.  These matching gift tags also by Lil Fish Studios look stunning with stitch detail and found buttons.
  4. Make flower tissue twinkle lights with this how to from Everyday Beauty.
  5. Decoupage LettersDecoupage letters.  These paper pulp letters with sewing pattern decoupage are by Copabananas.  You could get a similar effect with paper mache letters found at most craft stores.
  6. Sewing Pattern BoxYou can never have enough craft storage.  Decoupage a box with the tissue and cutouts from the pattern envelope.  The adorable sewing pattern boxes here are by Sewing Geek.
  7. Sewing Pattern CoastersLove these sewing pattern coasters by Liesl Made.  Perfect for keeping a beverage handy in the craft room.Sewing Pattern Magnet
  8. Blue Valentine Press makes really cool magnets using both the sewing pattern tissue and the pattern envelopes.

[Image 1 by Claire Baker for Copabananas, Image 2 and 3 by Lisa Jordan for Lil fish Studios, Image 4 by Claire Baker for Copabananas, Image 5 by Mary E. Walker for Sewing Geek, Image 6 by Liesl Maertens for Liesl Made, Image 7 and 8 by Beth Carls for Blue Valentine Press]

Tags: , , ,

I am a work-at-home mom busy chasing after my son and establishing my eco-business, Tiny Décor. I also write the Tiny Décor Blog aimed at modern parents trying to go green for their kids. Tiny Décor has allowed me to turn a passion for sewing, craft, and environmentalism into a business. Blog writing has become an outlet for me to share my experiences going green, being a parent, and loving the planet.

20 Responses to Reuse Sewing Pattern Tissue Paper

1. Pingback: Sewing Patterns « Liesl Made

2. Great ideas! I’m loving the magnets. The images on the envelopes are so fun, it’s great to see them showcased like this. Thanks for including me in this fun post.

3. Pingback: Sewing Pattern Tissue Paper Projects Roundup « Craft Paper | Manufacturer | Designer | Information | Europe

4. cindy says:

Fantastic ideas! I wish I could go get my goodwill donation back. Next time. I’ll never see that tissue paper in the same way.

5. bex says:

Terrific ideas! At my house we stick them on the walls. Hardly a craft, but it looks great…

6. Heather says:

I love these ideas! After a long hiatus from sewing because I thought I just didn’t like it so much, I have recently gotten back into it and realized that I love to sew, I just hate these tissue paper patterns! I’m going to have to turn the many patterns I have into other useful things!!

7. Jen says:

Gross. Great way to ruin history. I know people who would KILL for patterns this vintage.

8. Pingback: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle « mermaids

9. Pingback: Vintage Sewing Patterns « Joyful Ploys

10. Linda says:

Sorry, I have to agree with Jen. These old patterns are an irreplaceable bit of history. I collect vintage apron patterns and use them as they were intended. These crafts make me sad.

11. Esther says:

While I understand the people who dislike vintage patterns being cut up I have some that are incomplete and quite damaged so I’d be tempted to copy off what I can if most of it is still there and then use the less damaged bits of the original to do things like this.. that or some of the really unflattering 1980′s patterns I have in my collection.

12. Mary says:

I can see your point about using the old patterns. But there were millions printed and I don’t see the harm if it keeps them out of the landfill. You can make that history arguement about reusing anything old…old typewriters, watches, and vintage jewelry.

13. Nan Jaeger says:

I’ve used sewing patterns as quirky wrapping paper for sewing friends, and hadn’t thought of some of the other fab ideas! thanks for the photos

14. Pingback: How to Recycle Vintage Sewing Patterns. Or not? | SEW CRAFTFUL

15. Callie says:

The buttons are totally cute! I commented about this on my blog.

Thanks!

16. Really creative usage of pattern paper. The vintage flair adds to the recycled pieces perfectly! For added vintage fabrics, check out our vintage novelty cotton section at http://www.jofabrics.com!

17. Clare says:

this is such a good idea. instead of holding onto things that we value but that have no PRACTICAl value, we can turn them into something beautiful to think about and admire again and again. I’d rather have these flowers and a story about where the patterns originated than have the patterns stuck up in a drawer somewhere.

18. Pingback: Sew Craftful.com » How to recycle sewing pattern envelopes

19. Tina says:

This is horrible. Old patterns are rarer than you think and even the ones you think are ugly will be treasures in the future. Make your roses out of dollar store tissue paper and leave old patterns to those who can appreciate the delicate bits of history they are.

20. Pingback: the Networker Blog» Blog Archive » Rebel Without A Car