Artsy Things

Published on March 3rd, 2008 | by Juliet Ames

Recycled Glass Art

Spread the love:

Facebook Twitter Pinterest Plusone Tumblr Email

splash-copy.jpgI am having such a great time discovering artists using recycled materials in their crafts. I was so excited about this recycled glass artist, I could barely wait until Monday to share it with the CAGW readers!

John Bassett has been making these amazing glass panels and sculptures since 1979, long before green crafting was all the rage. John creates his works of art out of used bottles, chandelier parts, and other glass scraps. John says that his interests are in light, structure, line, texture, balance and color in that order.

I know most of us do not have the means to whip up art with our empty beer bottles, but I just had to share the wonderful way one artist has. So, I guess until I build a glass studio in my house, I will just put my bottles on the curb for recycling.

For more about glass recycling, check out glass recycling facts from A Recyling Revolution.

Spread the love:

Facebook Twitter Pinterest Plusone Tumblr Email

Tags: , , , ,

Juliet Ames breaks plates for a living. A metals and craft major at Towson University, Ames went on to work for the Howard County Arts Council organizing gallery exhibits. Meanwhile, she kept up her own craftwork. The plate-breaking started with a mosaic mailbox. “There were leftover pieces, so I soldered them and wrapped them around my neck and got a lot of compliments,” says Ames, 28, who just had her first child, a boy.

36 Responses to Recycled Glass Art

1. It really is art, too– because I’ve spent the last few minutes here trying to dissect the glasswork into its various original parts. I’d tried a bit of a trash-to-treasure mosaic window once and honestly, mine still looked more along the rubbish lines. :) It’s nice to see a site tackle the many elegant things you can do, craft-wise, that are eco-friendly.

2. It really is art, too– because I’ve spent the last few minutes here trying to dissect the glasswork into its various original parts. I’d tried a bit of a trash-to-treasure mosaic window once and honestly, mine still looked more along the rubbish lines. :) It’s nice to see a site tackle the many elegant things you can do, craft-wise, that are eco-friendly.

3. It really is art, too– because I’ve spent the last few minutes here trying to dissect the glasswork into its various original parts. I’d tried a bit of a trash-to-treasure mosaic window once and honestly, mine still looked more along the rubbish lines. :) It’s nice to see a site tackle the many elegant things you can do, craft-wise, that are eco-friendly.

4. It really is art, too– because I’ve spent the last few minutes here trying to dissect the glasswork into its various original parts. I’d tried a bit of a trash-to-treasure mosaic window once and honestly, mine still looked more along the rubbish lines. :) It’s nice to see a site tackle the many elegant things you can do, craft-wise, that are eco-friendly.

5. Art Glass says:

Hi there. The art works are wonderful. Can’t believe they are made from recycled glass. I think John is very talented. Thanks for the glass facts. We should do our share to protect the environment.

6. Art Glass says:

7. Art Glass says:

8. Art Glass says:

9. Priscilla Myers says:

Hi, I’m not too knowledgable of what goes into creating various glassworks. However, have seen (on TV) the hand blown glass technique and another process where glass is put in an extremely high temp. kiln?, melted and fused with other flat pieces, aiding in whatever the creative outcome will be. I’m wondering if glass artists who use recycled findings, ever crush their glass into much smaller pieces and then melt it in a similar way to re-use/re-fuse or is that possible?

10. Priscilla Myers says:

11. Priscilla Myers says:

12. Priscilla Myers says:

13. John Bassett says:

Thanks for the nice article about my glass. I welcome comments and questions. When I was a kid in Northampton, Mass in the 50′s there was a retired weaver who made wonderful toys out of popsicle sticks and discarded lumber. There’s a long tradition of creative use of recycled materials.

14. John Bassett says:

15. John Bassett says:

16. John Bassett says:

17. Beautiful, I’m currently doing a bit of dumster diving at local pubs. You’re very gifted

18. Adallielf says:

???????? | ????????????? ??? ?? ????? ????? ? ?? http://p1p3.net ???? ?? ??? ?? ? ???????? ??????? ?

19. Adallielf says:

20. Adallielf says:

21. Adallielf says:

22. Pingback: Vintage Broken Glass Gets New Life As Jewelry : Crafting a Green World

23. Adeline Rem says:

I use window panes and shower doors from residential and commercial buildings to make my pieces, take a look at http://www.ibreakglass.com

24. Adeline Rem says:

25. Adeline Rem says:

26. Adeline Rem says:

27. Jason says:

Cool site…I came across it looking for more info on melting recycled bottle glass.

28. Jason says:

29. Jason says:

30. Jason says:

31. mira says:

These are beautiful.

32. mira says:

These are beautiful.

33. mira says:

These are beautiful.

34. mira says:

These are beautiful.

35. Vishva_pb says:

its gooooooood;

36. Carol says:

Check out Paul Williams (Admiral glass) he makes great bottle clocks with a wine glass pendulum, I hade to get one. You can find him on squidoo