What is upcycling?
If you’re a regular reader here, you’re probably an upcycling champ, but just in case the term is new for anyone, upcycling is when you take an item that was headed for the landfill and transform it into something useful again. So, if you turn a busted boot into a planter, that’s upcycling. If you buy a pack of tennis balls and use them for something besides tennis, that’s creative, but it isn’t upcycling. It’s all about diverting waste from the landfill!
It’s easy as pie to to enter. All you have to do is join the Rit Color Community and submit your upcycled craft project. So what can you win? They’re putting together three prize packs of equal value containing:
• $100 gift certificate from M+J Trimming
• One-year subscription to Martha Stewart Living magazine
• One-year subscription to Create and Decorate magazine
• The entire range of liquid Rit Dyes (one bottle of each color)
• Two white cotton scarves, ready to be dyed to your whim
Entries have to be upcycled and must use Rit dye in some way. The deadline to enter is January 28th at midnight, so you still have a few days to get your upcycling on!
Have you already submitted a project to the contest? I’d love to see what you guys are making in the comments!