Like handmade jewelry?
Teeny-tiny Scrabble tiles make perfect pendant blanks. Scrabble tiles are easy to find at any thrift store, and they’re a great size to use as jewelry–small enough not to weigh you down, large enough to hold a fun image.
Scrabble tile pendants are quick and fun to make. All you need are a couple of kinds of strong glue, a little paint, some wonderful vintage papers, and a jewelry bail. Here’s how to whip them out in a day:
1. Paint the back and edges of your Scrabble tile (optional). You don’t really *have* to paint your Scrabble tile, but I like the way that doing so completely transforms the tile–you’d never know afterwards that you were looking at a game piece!
2. Cut your images to size. I like to work with old comic books, but other fun options are dictionaries, magazines, wallpaper samples, and children’s picture books. Additionally, you can draw your own images on white paper using professional-quality colored pencils or water-resistant markers.
Trace around the Scrabble tile with a sharp pencil, then cut INSIDE the lines–if your image is a teeny bit on the small side, it won’t be noticeable, but if it’s larger than the Scrabble tile, that would be a pain in the butt to fix later.
3. Glue the image to the Scrabble tile. Squeeze a little clear-drying glue (I like to use Aleene’s Tacky Glue, which is a little thicker, and thus less messy, than most other white glues) onto the face of the Scrabble tile, then hold your image by one corner and carefully use the back of the image to spread the glue into an even layer all over the tile face.
Gently press your image onto the Scrabble tile, smoothing it down and keeping it centered on the tile.
4. Add a hard, clear glaze to the front of the image. Because you’re making jewelry, you want it to be pretty sturdy–waterproof, resistant to bumps, etc. You could Mod Podge the heck out of it, but there are definitely glazes that work more quickly to make a very strong sealant. Diamond Glaze is an option, as is epoxy resin.
5. Glue a bail to the Scrabble tile. Using another clear epoxy glue, such as E6000, glue a bail to the back of the Scrabble tile. Now you have a pendant!
Scrabble tile pendants can also be used as bracelet charms and ornaments for miniature Christmas trees. You could also use these in place of my cardboard number manipulatives, if you’d like a material sturdier than cardboard.