I am still looking for ways to transform my stash of plain boring notecards. I showed you how to use fabric scraps and stamps to “recover” the card and how to make inside out notecards with craft punches in Part 1 of this series. Now I want to show you how to make inside out notecards using your own cut out design instead of craft punches.
- Card with blank inside
- Masking/Painters Tape
- Xacto Knife
- Scrap of colorful paper
Step by Step:
- Print out a simple design, letter, or phrase in black and white that will fit on your notecard. I chose to print out “Hi.” in American Typewriter font at 225 size (this fit nicely on my 3 x 5 notecard). TIP: The simpler the design or shape the easier the next steps will be.
- Tape the card blank side up onto a cutting surface. Center the print out design on one side of the card and tape in place. TIP: Use masking or painters tape for easy removal without damage.
- Use an Xacto knife to “trace” the outline of the design. You should easily cut through the printer paper, but don’t try to cut all the way through the card.
- Remove the printer paper. With the Xacto knife carefully cut along the score lines of the design on the card. Remove the cut outs. Set aside any cut outs from the center of the design that you want in the final product (for example the center of the letter O).
- Turn the card over and with blank side down apply glue around the cutouts and all over the front of the card.
- Place a scrap of colorful paper (large enough to cover the cutouts) over the cutouts on the front of the card.
- Apply more glue to the back of the scrap paper. Flip the back of the card onto the front and press together.
- Turn the card over. If you had any saved cut outs (like the center of the letter O) apply glue to the back of those pieces and place them on the decorative paper where they belong in the design.
- Optional: Turn the notecard into a postcard. Using a black permanent marker and ruler, draw a line down the center on the back of the notecard (stopping about 1/4 inch from each edge). Draw three vertical lines about halfway down on the right side for the address (if your card is small make sure to leave enough room for a stamp – you can draw the Place Stamp Here rectangle if you wish).
Using your own cut out design allows you to personalize your notecards. Try making several with a loved ones monogram and bundling them together with ribbon or twine to give as a gift.
For an easier method to make inside out notecards see Part 1 of this series on how to make inside out notecards with craft punches.