Conventional toothpaste is full of harmful chemicals. Shocking, since this is stuff that’s supposed to go into your mouth, right? Most conventional toothpaste contains artificial colors and flavors along with chemicals that might even weaken your teeth over time. And the worst of the bunch also contain triclosan or triclocarban. Instead of agonizing over a long ingredients label, you can save some cash and learn how to make toothpaste yourself. At home. With ingredients that you pick!
Andrea at our sister site Green Living Ideas shared three recipes for making your own toothpaste. You can pick your favorite or try mashing up more than one to make your own custom toothpaste.
How to Make Toothpaste: 3 Homemade Recipes
by Andrea Bertoli, Green Living Ideas
Here are three awesome recipes for homemade toothpaste that are all just a little different. We’ve include the ingredients below, but click on the links to get the full recipe and details from the authors. There are lots of healthy, natural ingredients in each recipe; some have xylitol, an alternative sweetener that’s also great for tooth enamel, essential oils that help freshen breath and break down bacterias, calcium and other minerals, salt and baking soda, which gives it a fizzy, clean feeling. Experiment with your favorites and let us know which you liked!
Editor’s note: Some essential oils are not safe for children, especially when given orally. If you have kids under age 10, check this list to make sure the oils that you’re using are safe for them.
1. Homemade Remineralizing Toothpaste from Food Renegade:
- 1/2 c. bentonite clay
- 3 Tbsp. xylitol powder
- 4 Tbsp. coconut oil, warmed to liquid
- 20 drops cinnamon essential oil (see editor’s note)
- 20 drops clove essential oil (see editor’s note)
- 30 drops Concentrace trace minerals
- 3 Tbsp. water (possibly more)
Click here to get the full recipe from Food Renegade!
2. Natural Whitening Toothpaste from Wellness Mama:
- ¼ cup Calcium Carbonate Powder
- 3 Tablespoons Xylitol powder
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- Essential oils of choice (optional – see editor’s note)
Click here to find the recipe for Natural Whitening Toothpaste from Wellness Mama!
3. Simple Homemade Toothpaste from MNN
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, finely ground
- 1 drop peppermint, clove, or citrus pure essential oil (see editor’s note)
- A few drops of water
Click to read the recipe and find two more recipes from Mother Nature Network!
Image Credit: Toothpaste photo and graphic overlay via Shutterstock