Mail the love, Friends! Whether it’s a piece of original art or an upcycled cupcake box, homemade postcards are a great way to let your loved ones know that you’re thinking of them.
Need some ideas? Check out these awesome tutes for making homemade postcards, and then go raid the recycling bin!
12 Homemade Postcards
1. coloring pages. You generally have to back these with a sturdier cardboard, but adult coloring pages, especially, make wonderful postcard graphics.
2. cyanotypes. These sun prints are also really fun for kids to make!
3. embellished vintage postcards. Just because the postcard is already manufactured doesn’t mean that you can’t add your own magic to it!
4. fabric postcards. Even if you love to sew more than you love to draw, you can still make homemade postcards.
5. food packaging. Food packaging is colorful and fun to trick us into eating food that’s crap for us, but once you’re suckered in, you might as well doubly enjoy yourself by turning that colorful packaging into fun postcards. The junkier the food, the better the postcard!
6. scratch-off. Getting a postcard in the mail is like winning the lottery!
7. original art. Start with plain cardboard or bristol board, and create your own artwork for the front of the postcard.
8. postcard kit. This would make a great gift for someone heading off to college, moving out of state, or even a kid going to sleep-away camp.
9. printables. If you can’t figure out your own art, use these printable postcard templates and just color them in.
10. mixed media. This video tute shows you how to make a larger artwork that you can cut down into fabulous and fascinating postcards.
11. splatter paint. People will never guess how easy these flowers were to make.
12. watercolor. Watercolor paint works on most papers that have a tooth, and can add a beautiful background or lovely details.