Plush Cactus Tutorial
You can make your plush cactus any color you like. I went for a pretty straightforward bright green, but cacti come in many colors, so don’t be afraid to play around with bright oranges and hot pinks!
You will need:
- 2 8 1/2″ X 11″ pieces of recycled felt
- our printable cactus pdf template
- sewing machine, thread, scissors
- chopstick or wooden dowel
- lots of tiny fabric scraps for stuffing
- reclaimed glass jar
- a few handfuls of pebbles or small stones
- non-toxic white glue
1. Use your sewing machine set on a wide stitch length to sew vertical lines in your felt – these are your cactus’s “needles.”
2. Print out the cactus template, trace it onto both pieces of felt, and cut them out.
3. Pin right sides together, and sew all the way around, leaving the base open.
4. Flip your cactus right side out – using the chopstick or dowel to turn those skinny arms rightways – and stuff with your tiny scraps and thread. You want to stuff it really well, since the stiffness is what helps it stand upright. The dowel helps with the stuffing part, too!
5. Place the base of your cactus into your container, and fill it the rest of the way with the rocks. Like the stuffing, you want things wedged in really well here.
6. Fill your container carefully with white glue, letting it seep into the cracks between the rocks and being careful not to get glue on your cactus, and allow it to dry for at least 48 hours before you gift it.