You HAVE to have plenty of bookmarks.
Find yourself without a bookmark, and you might dog-ear your book. That is NOT okay.
See? Got to have a lot of bookmarks!
Fortunately, bookmarks, even though they’re small, have quite a bit of scope for the imagination, as Anne-with-an-e would say. They’re some of the most satisfying projects to craft, since they come together so quickly, and they support a wide variety of media, so whether you’re a painter, a scrapbooker, a jewelry maker, or a crafter who defies category, there’s a bookmark for you.
To get you started making your own stash of bookmarks ever at the ready, check out these projects. They’re all made using natural or recycled materials, so you can feel really good about what you’re making:
1. book spine bookmarks: Even a devastatingly damaged old book sometimes has a spine that you can save.
2. bottle cap bookmarks: If you’ve also got paperclips, then you’re all set.
3. cereal box bookmarks: You will never guess that these painted and embellished bookmarks used to be cereal boxes.
4. comic book bookmark: A ripped paperback or a gawdy comic book can live on as your new favorite bookmark.
5. envelope bookmark: This is how you make those really cute corner bookmarks!
6. favorite quote bookmark: Upcycle ANY old piece of cardstock-weight paper into a bookmark that features your favorite passages from your favorite books.
7. greeting card bookmark: The magnetic closure on the back of this bookmark is especially genius.
8. junk mail bookmark: Do you still get junk mail? Turn it into something useful for a change.
9. leather scrap bookmark: An old leather coat or pair of (shudder!) leather pants can make a really lush bookmark.
10. magazine cut-outs: Spell out a message, kidnapper-style.
11. necktie bookmark: You own a lot of ugly ties.
12. plastic bag bookmarks: Add glitter, string, or other embellishments before you fuse these bags.
13. product tag bookmarks: Would you believe that this bookmarks are made from clothing tags?
14. record album cover bookmark: Love the record album cover that goes with that sadly scratched record? Turn it into a bookmark!
15. scrap bookmark: Even the smallest paper or fabric scrap can make something really cute.
16. soda can bookmarks: Your favorite soda wants to help you keep your place.
17. Styrofoam bookmark: Sometimes Styrofoam comes to you whether you like it or not.
19. woven paper bookmark: Weave strips cut from any type of paper into a beautiful bookmark.