Published on December 9th, 2014 | by Crunchy Scott2
Easiest Holiday Ornament Ever: Cinnamon Gingerbread People
Are you ready to make the easiest holiday ornament EVER?! You need two ingredients – cinnamon and apple sauce – to fill your house with holiday spirit.
When I say “simple” – I MEAN SIMPLE! These are the cutest and easiest holiday ornaments you’ll ever make. I made these cinnamon gingerbread people for the first time with my nephew Harrington a few years ago. He was only 18 months old at the time but he had no problem making the dough, rolling it out and using the cookie cutter to make the little people. Yes, there was cinnamon all over the place, and on everyone participating – but who cares?! It was great fun and made for a terrific holiday memory.
Here is what you’ll need:
- ½ cup of ground cinnamon (plus a few teaspoons for sprinkling)
- ½ cup of applesauce
- Whole cloves (optional)
- Gingerbread cookie cutters
Here’s how you put it together:
- In a bowl, combine cinnamon and applesauce until it forms a dough. You might need to add a touch more cinnamon.
- Shake some cinnamon out onto the counter.
- Plop your dough onto the counter and roll it out until it’s about a ¼ of an inch thick. You may need to add more cinnamon to the top of the dough to keep it from getting too wet.
- Use gingerbread cookie cutters to cut out your ornaments.
- Before you move them to a wire rack, use a chopstick to put a hole in the top of each ornament.
- Also, poke 3 cloves down the center of the gingerbread for buttons.
- With a spatula, move your cinnamon ornaments to a wire rack.
- Let them air dry for about 2-3 days.
- String some ribbon through the hole and hang on your holiday tree!
This dough makes 4-6 ornaments.
These ornaments last for years and years. So you can easily pack them away. However, if you don’t have space for extra ornaments – no prob! These ornaments are completely biodegradable which means you can toss them into your compost pile and they’ll dissolve away. Easy peasy!
Just one batch of these ornaments will have your entire house smelling like cinnamon. It really is amazing. For a step-by-step video tutorial, plus a coffee and cranberry ornament idea…click here!