Holiday Crafts materials

Published on September 16th, 2011 | by Karen Lee

How To: Solar Jack-O-Lantern

jackolanternmaterials
It’s great to support local farmers so I always take a trip to a pumpkin patch every year. Of course we come home with bushels of apples, gallons of apple cider, a dozen of freshly made donuts and a few hefty sized pumpkins. Like I said, I don’t mind supporting my farmers but I find buying pumpkins wasteful since we essentially buy them for just one night. I’d rather spend that money on donuts! (Ok, apples too.)

But seriously, as I promised in Green Tips for a Recycled Halloween, I’m going to show you how to make this reusable Jack-O-Lantern using only a few items and for less than ten bucks! Imagine all the donuts and apples I can buy with the money I’ll save!

You will need:

• Pumpkin Shaped Glass Bowl
  • Masking Tape
  • Orange Color Spray Paint
  • Solar Garden or Walkway Lamp
  • Gloves
  • Mask
  • Black Sharpie Marker

Glass Bowl: I am using a glass bowl that I had but you can buy a fish bowl or a round glass jar at a craft or thrift store for less than $3.99.

Spray Paint: I am using my mom’s old orange spray paint in this picture but if I had to buy one, I would buy Krylon H2O Latex Paint in Bay of Bengal Orange color. The paint is eco-friendly with low VOC.

Solar Lamp: You can buy a solar walkway lamp for $2.88 at Home Depot. Buy the one that you can twist the top portion off so you can use the lamp. It’s an economical way to use solar lamps for your crafts. You can use one of those battery operated flickering candles if you already have them but the idea is to use solar energy!

Next >>

Tags: , , , ,

Karen lives a simple, frugal, green life and shares her eco tips and news on ecokaren and is a co-founder of Green Sisterhood, a network of community of green women bloggers, making change. When she's not managing Green Sisterhood or blogging on ecokaren, she is a chauffeur to two greenagers, wife to an accidental recycler, master chef to hungry locavores, seamstress, knitter, and dumpster diver, not necessarily in that order.

8 Responses to How To: Solar Jack-O-Lantern

1. rachel says:

Love this idea, Karen! I’ll be on the look-out for glass bowls like that at the thrift store.

• Karen says:

Glad you liked it! I don’t know why I didn’t make this earlier! (Probably because solar walkway lamps weren’t around when my kids were little!) Have fun making it! :)

2. What a great idea! I love this. I have a couple of bowls that would be perfect for this. Thank you!

3. Antinyx says:

Great Idea, If you are going to make the face opaque with the sharpy, why bother with the tape?  Why not just paint the whole bowl and then draw what you want with the sharpy?

I think real pumpkins are scarier because in the dark, it is only the eyes and mouth that shine.  The rest is lost in the darkness.

Maybe you could use the tape to keep the face un-painted, then paint the jar black.  Remove the tape so only the eyes and mouth shine.

4. Karen says:

I suggested spraying the entire bowl and then designing with Sharpie on Page 5, especially if you have an intricate design.

You can certainly reverse the colors too. Paint the entire pumpkin BLACK and facial feature in pumpkin orange so that light can shine through in orange color. Good idea!!

5. Zoeygirl75 says:

Looks like fun,I can’t wait to try it,Thanks for sharing!

6. Julie Stewart says:

Great idea! I have a bunch of old outdoor light fixture covers that have the same type of ribbing. I couldn’t get rid of them, I hate throwing things away. Now I have a purpose for them. Thank you!