Sewing skirt made from old sweater

Published on August 6th, 2010 | by Wenona Napolitano

10 Crafty Green Things to Do With Old Sweaters

Spread the love:

Facebook Twitter Pinterest Plusone Tumblr Email

recycled sweater pillow

Do you have a pile of old sweaters that no longer fit but you just can’t bear to throw them out? How about reusing and upcycling them into something else?

Here are ten crafty ways to reuse old sweaters.

One thing you can do is make a sweater pillow. Pillows are pretty easy to make – just grab a pillow form and turn the sweater into a cover for it. Here’s one DIY tutorial from The Budget Fashionista.
Next>> Patchwork Pet Bed

Spread the love:

Facebook Twitter Pinterest Plusone Tumblr Email

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Wenona is married with three crazy kids that range in age from 4 to 18. She is a freelance writer, poet and the author of The Everything Green Wedding Book. She enjoys reading, writing, crafting and gardening. She tries to do all of these as "greenly" as possible. Her writing has appeared in several local and regional publications, Pack O Fun, Today's Creative Home Arts, and Indiana Living Green magazines as well as numerous online sites including PlentyMag.com, EthicalWeddings.com, MyEcoChicWedding.com, eHow, Associated Content, Suite101 and Life123.com.

23 Responses to 10 Crafty Green Things to Do With Old Sweaters

1. Pingback: Planetsave » Blog Archive » Important Media Weekly Roundup

2. Pingback: Fab Fabrics: Repurposed Sweaters – Crafting a Green World

3. Pingback: Seven Back to School Crafts for Kids – Crafting a Green World

4. Pingback: ‘Cause it’s cute « Knitting Crimes & Other Craft Adventures

5. Pam says:

Anther good way to recycle sweaters (WOOL) is felt them anmake them ino great purses ,tote bags and hand warmers…..just a few things…….Felting wool sweaters is good since I live in Az………and also if you don’t knitt…..or want a faster way to do it..

6. Great post about re-using your sweaters. I love the idea of making pillows from my old sweaters. Thanks for the tip!

7. Emmakrazy says:

This is so adorable!

8. Kirsten Primecp says:

Found great sweater refashioning ideas on AllFreeSewing.com:

9. BBoxlady says:

I used about 10 old sweaters I bought at a garage sale for the following projects:
    vests for all the boys-cut out sleeves, cut to fit lengthwise and crochet a neat tidy edging around sleeve edges and bottom…I also added ribbing, but I had a lot of time and yarn in my stash!

sleeves became leg warmers for a friends baby twins!…and I made them cute little hats out of some of the bottom parts of the sweaters I cut off for the vests.

a couple of the sweaters were kind of a velour type, so I cut them into squares and made cell phone cases, coin purses, eyeglass bags…

I had a blast with 2.00 worth of sweaters…am thinking I should look for a couple and unravel them for the wool…

10. April Gunawardena says:

Is it possible to use your picture for my GSCE I.C.T coursework please?

11. Pingback: Wristwarmers

12. I’ve used a wool sweater to make legwarmers. They look awesome!

13. Jessica says:

I love the look of the sweater pillow!
    I have a few sweater recycling tutorials on my blog.
    Legwarmers from christmas sweater
    Beret Style Hat

14. Emily says:

Truthfully, I would love to buy a copy of the dog photo. Please? It’s so adorable. I just want to hang it in my living room.

15. Barbara says:

Another way to up cycling old sweaters to make from them one of a kind sweater coat:

…or make bags, scarfs…hundred possibilities. MIND YOUR WASTE!!!!

Barbara, Amber studios.Etsy.com

16. Wendy says:

Here are some things I’ve done with old sweaters.

17. I really like the mittens and the dog sweater.

18. Rebecca says:

One Pearl Button (the alternate sweater mitten tutorial) blog is open to invited readers only. :-/ Not the most useful link. Just an FYI.

19. Fabulous ideas! I especially love the leggings and mittens!

20. Pingback: Ecopreneurist | A blog for and about eco and social entrepreneurs, startups, cleantech, web 2.0 and disruptive business ideas.