Fabrics Kalla Textile Design

Published on February 10th, 2009 | by Jackie Hernandez

Top 10 Modern, Eco-friendly, Printed Fabrics on Etsy

Spread the love:

Facebook Twitter Pinterest Plusone Tumblr Email

Kalla Textile DesignThe task of finding modern, eco-friendly fabrics is daunting.  Etsy is a fabulous resource of sprouting designers, but can be difficult to search.  My original post on the Top 10 Modern, Eco-friendly Fabric Sources on Etsy was the top post on the Tiny Décor Blog in 2008 and continues to be in the top 3 posts so far in 2009.  I have decided to again do all the research for you to create an updated list for 2009.  There are some oldies, but goodies that remain on the list, but I have also found a few new gems.

Determining what is eco-friendly and what is not is often very subjective.  At a minimum all the fabrics on this list are made of natural fibers with the least amount of conventional cotton as possible.  Some of these fabrics are a linen/cotton blend that is more eco-friendly than a 100% conventional cotton fabric or a synthetic fabric.  All of these fabrics are printed with non-toxic, water-based inks.  Most of these fabrics are screen printed by hand by the designers themselves.

In no particular order, here are the top 10 modern, eco-friendly, screen printed fabrics on Etsy:

1. Kalla Textiles are handprinted in Japan by designer Hitomi Kimura with water-based inks on cotton/linen blend fabric.  I am personally enjoy reading the Kalla Design blog where Hitomi shares her studio, inspirations, and printing in progress.Kalla Textiles
  2. Aunty Cookie offers limited edition screen printed fabrics by designer Shannon Lamden.  Fabrics are printed with water-based inks on a linen/cotton blend.  Aunty Cookie also carries adorable screen printed fabric trims.Aunty Cookie Fabric
  3. Moyou fabrics are hand screen printed on hemp/cotton blend fabric with eco-friendly, solvent-free inks.  Designer Amy Kerr creates a unique blend of Australian design and Japanese aesthetic.  Learn more at the Moyou Design Blog.Moyou Fabric
  4. Cicada Studio offers linen/cotton blend fabrics professionally printed in the USA.  The newest collection Mod Quad features 4 bold geometric patterns in contemporary colors.  Learn more about designer Michelle Engel Bencsko on her blog Cicada Daydream.Cicada Studio Mod Squad
  5. Hollabee still has a few hand screen printed hemp/organic cotton blends on Etsy.  At the end of last year designer Bianca van Meeuwen entered a joint venture with a couple other Australian designers to create Ink & Spindle.  Her new works can be found at the Ink & Spindle shop.Hollabee Textiles
  6. The Daisy Janie offering continues to grow with a new collection due Feb/Mar 2009.  The designs by Jan DiCintio are professionally printed in the USA on a linen/cotton blend.Daisy Janie Fabric
  7. MARAmiki designs are all hand drawn, then screen printed onto linen/organic cotton blend fabrics by designer Mara Snipes in her Chicago studio.  She uses water-based, non-toxic inks and her fabrics are finished without chemicals or solvents.  See all her designs on the MARAmiki website.Maramiki Linen
  8. Umbrella Prints are hand screen printed on organic cotton/hemp blend fabrics with water-based inks by designer duo Amy Prior and Carly Schwerdt.  They have added a bunch of new yummy colorways this year.Umbrella Prints
  9. Of Paper and Thread fabrics are hand screen printed with solvent-free ink on a linen/cotton blend. Designer Danielle Smeets also shares a visual treat of in progress fabric designs at the Of Paper and Thread Blog.Of Paper And Thread Fabric
  10. Pippijoe fabrics are hand screen printed with environmentally friendly inks on hemp, hemp/cotton blend, or linen/cotton blend fabrics.  Check out the Pippijoe Diary for more of designer Caitlin Klooger’s craft adventures.Pippijoe Fabric

[Images courtesy of 1,2)Hitomi Kimura of Kalla Textile Design, 3)Shannon Lamden of Aunty Cookie, 4)Amy Kerr of Moyou, 5)Michelle Engel Bencsko of Cicada Studio, 6)Bianca van Meeuwen of Hollabee, 7)Jan DiCintio of Daisy Janie, 8)Mara Snipes of MARAmiki, 9)Amy Prior of Umbrella Prints, 10)Danielle Smeets of Of Paper and Thread, 11)Caitlin Klooger of Pippijoe]

Spread the love:

Facebook Twitter Pinterest Plusone Tumblr Email

Tags: , , , , ,

I am a work-at-home mom busy chasing after my son and establishing my eco-business, Tiny Décor. I also write the Tiny Décor Blog aimed at modern parents trying to go green for their kids. Tiny Décor has allowed me to turn a passion for sewing, craft, and environmentalism into a business. Blog writing has become an outlet for me to share my experiences going green, being a parent, and loving the planet.

55 Responses to Top 10 Modern, Eco-friendly, Printed Fabrics on Etsy

1. Rachel says:

What a fabulous batch of gorgeous fabrics! I can’t wait to browse!

2. Rachel says:

What a fabulous batch of gorgeous fabrics! I can’t wait to browse!

3. Rachel says:

What a fabulous batch of gorgeous fabrics! I can’t wait to browse!

4. Becky says:

Ooh, these are great! I’m trying to make a dent in my stash before I buy much more fabric, but these prints are seriously tempting.

5. Becky says:

6. Becky says:

7. Pingback: thelongthread.com · Green Fabrics

8. Inspiring!
    I can’t wait to try some.

9. Inspiring!
    I can’t wait to try some.

10. Inspiring!
    I can’t wait to try some.

11. Monica says:

It’s alright if you actually like these colors… Personally I don’t go for them. Good idea to post about eco fabrics though – perhaps the range will increase as more people, with varied tastes, become acquainted with the idea of earth-conscious fabric design.

12. Monica says:

13. Monica says:

14. Grace says:

As a designer, I’m curious what prints people would like to see on organic fabric – earth tones, funky colors, subtle nature prints, bold modern prints, or??

15. Grace says:

16. Grace says:

17. I HAVE BEEN MANUFACTURING HOME TEXTILES FOR CLOSE TO 25 YEARS. YOUR PRINTS ARE THE BEST I HAVE SEEN IN ECO FRIENDLY FABRICS. HOW WASHABLE ARE THESE PRINT FABRIC?
    PLEASE CONTACT ME AT MY PERSONAL E MAIL: FRANALOO2@HOTMAIL.COM

FRANCENE KAPLAN

18. Amanda says:

Grace- I would LOVE to see bold modern prints on organic fabric. I can’t seem to source it. Patterns like the ones seen here: http://warmbiscuit.com/geometric-fabrics.html

and things like white swirls on a black fabric. All of that would be fantastic.

19. Amanda says:

and things like white swirls on a black fabric. All of that would be fantastic.

20. Amanda says:

and things like white swirls on a black fabric. All of that would be fantastic.

21. Pingback: New Fabric Prints from Aunty Cookie : Crafting a Green World

22. Pingback: Beautiful Organic Cotton Prints from Umbrella Prints!!! on Etsy « NurtureNature!

23. Kerry says:

Thank you for this post – I’ve been searching all morning for some great organic printed cotton fabrics…you’ve put together a great selection I wasn’t able to find anywhere else! k

24. Kerry says:

25. Kerry says:

26. Pingback: True Up » Archive » 11 Makers of Organic/Eco-Friendly Fabric

27. Angelica says:

Hi, I was wondering if there is a list out there for waterproof fabrics or is vinyl the best option? I am planning to make a lunch bag (http://www.evilmadscientist.com/article.php/lunchbag)for my bike and was looking for some planet-friendly options.

Thanks!
    Angelica

28. Angelica says:

Thanks!
    Angelica

29. Angelica says:

Thanks!
    Angelica

30. naab says:

I stumbled on this blog and am just realizing how long ago it was written. I guess there is some truth to the old saying that even though things may not don’t come when we want them to, they always seem to come right on time. The information offers a very helpful start in my search for a good eco-friendly fabric resource. Thanks.

31. naab says:

32. naab says:

33. andrea says:

I too just stumbled upon this blog and even though it was written several months ago does not change the soaring relevance eco-friendly goods have today.

I just thought I’d share this line of 100% organic cotton from Birch Fabrics. It’s a fun, bold, fresh, and so modern! I really want to make a baby boys crib set from the fabrics.

You can see them here: http://www.birchfabrics.com/collections.html
    Just click on the image to see an enlarged version. Just found out the collection will be released March 2010 at http://www.fabricworm.com!

Can’t wait!

It’s nice to know about our eco-friendly options. Thanks for this post!

34. andrea says:

You can see them here: http://www.birchfabrics.com/collections.html

Can’t wait!

It’s nice to know about our eco-friendly options. Thanks for this post!

35. andrea says:

You can see them here: http://www.birchfabrics.com/collections.html

Can’t wait!

It’s nice to know about our eco-friendly options. Thanks for this post!

36. Julie says:

I really wish someone would put out organic fabric in more “traditional” prints. I am trying to make my nursery Country French, but 99% of printed organic fabric options seem to be modern or retro. I may get stuck with plain off-white. Yawn. Is there anyone out there doing traditional prints organically? Like toile or gingham or floral?

37. Julie says:

38. Julie says:

39. giardino says:

I’m doing hand printed linen fabrics, although mine are are hand stamped, giving them a more rustic look. My designs are influenced by history and art, with a distinctive palette…here’s an example:

40. giardino says:

41. giardino says:

42. Kendra Shaw says:

Love all the links to hand-printed textiles! I especially like the delicate MARAmiki designs. I also wanted to point out that anyone can do printing like this at home – either by carving your own stamp, or finding a wooden one from India. (We have a few at our boutique here: http://www.atradeforatrade.com/craft-supplies with many more to come soon!)

I’ve even personally experimented with hand printing using a lotus root. It has a very distinctive pattern, making it a bit more interesting than potato printing. I’d be happy to pass on some pictures of the results if anyone’s interested!

-Kendra

43. Kendra Shaw says:

-Kendra

44. Kendra Shaw says:

-Kendra

45. your farbic styles are superb

46. your farbic styles are superb

47. your farbic styles are superb

48. JaredEnviro says:

Great patterns and styles AND they are eco-friendly! nice!

49. JaredEnviro says:

Great patterns and styles AND they are eco-friendly! nice!

50. JaredEnviro says:

Great patterns and styles AND they are eco-friendly! nice!