Your parents always told you NOT to eat yellow or brown snow. That’s good advice, unless you’re making my vegan snow ice cream recipes. I’ve been trying to whip up a batch of this stuff all winter and I just couldn’t make it happen! But that all changed during last week’s March-madness snowstorm in D.C. Old Man Winter really socked it to us – and I’m glad he did because I finally got my fix.
Related: More snow ice cream tips + tricks!
I’ve got two recipes for you. The yellow: “Butter” Pecan. The brown: Chocolate Macadamia. Both are totally fancy-pants. Both are vegan. And both are dee-lish.
- Homegrown, fresh Snow (2-3 cups per serving)
- 1 Can Coconut Milk (Unsweetened)
- Maple Syrup
- Cocoa Powder
- Powdered Sugar
- Macadamia Nuts
Prep the Coconut Whip
- Chill the can of coconut milk in the fridge overnight.
- Scoop out all the hardened coconut cream. Use the liquid for smoothies!
- Whisk the cream until it’s fluffy and smooth.
Now you have homemade, unsweetened, all-natural coconut whip!
“Butter” Pecan Snow Ice Cream
- In a bowl, whisk 1/3 cup coconut whip, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and 3 teaspoons of maple syrup.
- Mix in 2-3 cups of fresh snow.
- Add 2 tablespoons of chopped pecans.
- Drizzle with a little more maple syrup and enjoy!
Chocolate Macadamia Nut Snow Ice Cream
- In a large bowl, combine 1/3 cup coconut whip, 1 tablespoon cocoa powder and 2 teaspoons powdered sugar.
- Add 2-3 cups fresh snow.
- Add in 2 tablespoons of crushed macadamia nuts and eat up.
I bet you’re expecting me to say, “It tastes just like real Butter Pecan” or “Chocolate Macadamia Nut” ice cream! Well, I’m not saying that. And even when I made snow ice cream with real cream and sugar (many years ago) it still never really tasted like the “real thing”. And that’s OK. In my opinion, snow ice cream is something all its own. Don’t get me wrong, it’s super-yummy. But making snow ice cream is really about embracing winter, making the most out of a snow day, and doing something fun with the ones you love. So give Old Man Winter a big ole hug and make some the next time he sends the white stuff your way!