Have a footstool, bench, or chair that needs a fresh, new look? Here’s how to reupholster a footstool or any removable cushion that could use a fabric upgrade.
A few months ago, I found an adorable foot stool at a thrift store. I wanted to sell it at my craft booth, but the fabric was too dingy. It was time to face my reupholstering fears, and this foot stool was perfect for a beginner like me. Here’s how to reupholster a footstool, in seven quick and easy steps.
How to Reupholster a Footstool
+ a stool, bench or chair. This is what I started with:
+ a staple gun and heavy duty staples
+ fabric. Here are some eco-friendly fabric options that we would recommend! You could also use stinging nettle upholstery fabric. I used the amazing and eco-friendly burlap — it’s really in right now and sells quickly at my shop.
+ a screwdriver
1. Remove the cushion from the base of the stool. I only had to remove 4 screws at the bottom of the cushion/base.
2. At this point, you can remove the old fabric and then recover your cushion, or you can layer the new fabric on top of the old fabric. Due to the see-through nature of burlap, I chose the latter.
3. Put your cushion in the middle of your new fabric:
4. Tightly pull your fabric and begin to staple it around each edge like so:
I stapled every inch or so, just to make sure the fabric stays in place. Remember, pull the fabric tight — you don’t want any bumps or excess fabric.
5. The corners of the cushion are the trickiest part, so I suggest checking out this super helpful reupholstering tutorial from Little Green Notebook, or if you’re like me and need a video, watch this Youtube video. They helped me get incredible corners like this:
6. Once the corners are complete, your cushion should look like this:
7. Then, reattach the cushion to your base, and you’re all set!
Isn’t it so cute now? I know it will sell quickly– if I can let it go. I can’t wait to find other items to reupholster! Have you ever reupholstered anything before? If so, what was it and how did it go? Share your experiences with us in the comment section below.