Make a DIY picture holder from a spent spool of thread!
One of the things I feel guiltiest about, when it comes to my sewing, is all of those empty spools of thread. Vintage thread comes on those lovely, wooden spools, but modern thread usually comes on plastic. Every time I finish a spool of thread, I get a little bit bummed about tossing the plastic spool into the bin.
Related: Turn a Wooden Spool of Thread into a Drawer Pull
Next time you have an empty spool, don’t get sad! Turn that old spool of thread into a picture holder!
DIY Picture Holder from a Thread Spool
+ empty thread spool
+ washi tape
+ hot glue gun and glue
+ a craft stick
+ pencil or pen
+ wire cutter
1. Cover your spool of thread in washi tape. You can also spray paint, if you prefer, but I like the washi tape look on my spool with the pops of white at the top and bottom!
2. Hot glue the clothespin to the top of your craft stick.
3. When the glue is completely cooled, stick the craft stick into your spool of thread, until the bottom of the clothespin is almost flush with the top of the spool. Mark your craft stick where it comes out at the bottom of the thread spool.
4. Use your wire cutter to clip off the stick along this line.
5. Clip the photo of your choice onto the clothespin, stick the craft stick into the top of the spool, and you’re ready to display!
2 CommentsLeave a Reply
Cute idea! I love how it can be customized too!
Thank you! We came across a stash of old photos of our family and our pets, so I’m going to make a few more of these to display them all. Like a garden of memories!