This article has been provided by EnviroWaste
Next time you’ve got an empty bottle, try getting your craft on instead with some of these craft projects for glass bottles!
You know the feeling when you finish a delicious beer or drink that last glass from a bottle of wine? Not the tipsy feeling, but the one when you take your empty bottle and head to the recycle bin. It’s sort of a bummer, right? Beer and wine bottles are often so well-designed, and it’s a shame to waste them.
Here in the U.S. we use over 11 million tons of glass per year. Recycling that glass is definitely better than throwing it away but recycling still uses energy from trucking the waste to the recycling center to the actual recycling process. Before you toss your bottle into the recycle bin or call for Enviro Waste skip hire to cart away all of your unwanted glass bottles, take a look at some of the creative ways they could be put to good use.
Craft Projects for Glass Bottles
1. DIY Hummingbird Feeder – Got a backyard or even a balcony? Use an old glass bottle to make an upcycled hummingbird feeder!
2. Twinkle Bottles – Design Mom shows you how to drill through a glass bottle so that you can fill it up with Christmas lights. To make your twinkle bottle extra eco, choose low-energy LED lights.
4. Etch It – Add an etched stencil or other design to a boring old glass bottle! Here’s how!
5. Hanging Vases – This would be great for a wedding or backyard party! Use twine to hang glass bottles from the frame of your pop up tent. I might put a rubber band around the neck of the bottle to keep things from slipping as the night goes on.
6. Reuse Your Wine Bottles – Ever wanted to give wine-making a go? Clean and boil your used wine bottles and use it to decant your own DIY wine!
7. Border Your Garden – Upside down wine bottles make a striking border for your garden beds! Just be careful with that weed-whacker: you don’t want your pretty border to shatter!
8. Sheet Music Bottle – Bonnie shows you how to use sheet music – or any reclaimed paper, really – to fancy up a reclaimed wine bottle.
Have you guys done any fun glass bottle craft projects? I’d love to hear your ideas in the comments!
Image Credits: Wine Bottles photo via Shutterstock, Hummingbird Feeder by Autumn Wiggins, Mustache Wine Bottle photo by Becky Striepe