Have you ever seen a janky old dresser standing at the side of the road, mysteriously missing all of its drawers?
That’s because there are so many great things that you can make with old drawers!
While I don’t advise thrifting an entire dresser just for the drawers, there are plenty of circumstances in which removing the drawers from a damaged, poor quality, or discarded dresser is an act of rescue. Divest that gross dresser of its wonderful drawers, and check out this list of crafts all made using surplus drawers–your next drawer project is here!
1. acrylic paint storage. Finally, the perfect storage system for those awkward bottles of acrylic paint!
2. bathroom cabinet. A drawer is the perfect depth to be transformed into a bathroom cabinet.
3. bookshelf. A bookshelf made from upcycled drawers has a great modular look.
4. book storage. A kid would especially love the open book storage made from a single dresser drawer.
5. cat perch. Because you know that your cat wants to sit up high and look down on you.
6. craft storage. These stackable vintage drawers make for craft storage that’s almost as handy, and even more durable, than plastic storage bins.
7. cubbies. These low shelves are perfect for children’s room storage.
8. dollhouse. The beautiful shape of these matching drawers is what really makes this drawer dollhouse special.
9. jewelry organizer. A drawer with several compartments, such as you’d find in a desk, is easily upcycled into a jewelry organizer.
10. memo board. Turn a shallow drawer into a chalkboard message board with plenty of room to store keys and coupons.
11. nightstand. Be thoughtful before you put the casters on this way–are you going to knock the whole thing over first thing in the morning?
12. ottoman. A large antique drawer makes a comfy ottoman with hidden storage inside.
13. pet bed. Cats, especially, would love this simple walled pet bed.
14. photo storage. I upcycled a card catalog drawer into this organized photo storage system.
15. porch planter. To increase the planter’s lifespan, line the inside with heavy-duty plastic before adding the potting soil.
16. shadow box. Use a small drawer to show off your favorite photos and trinkets.
17. side table. This table adds extra storage to any room.
18. under-bed storage. All a drawer really needs for this is a paint job and four casters.
19. wall-mounted bins. Your drawers will hold a lot more if you mount them to the wall this way.
20. wall storage. With a little trimming of any sticky-out bits, any drawer can be transformed into wall-mounted storage.