Collect some sea glass on your next beach trip and try some of these awesome sea glass crafts!
With beachy vacations on the horizon and a rock tumbler tumbling away out in the garage (did you know that you can make tumbled “sea” glass in a rock tumbler? More on that another time!), my mind has lately turned to sea glass crafts.
Sea glass is especially intriguing because it’s a product of both nature and recycling, a rare, almost impossible scenario in which nature turns litter into something beautiful. For a green crafter like me who’s interested in both nature crafts and upcycling, it’s a fascinating substance.
Are you, too, interested in the convergence of nature and litter, of natural crafting and upcycling? If so, read on for some of my favorite sea glass craft projects. You’re going to be fascinated, too!
15 Sea Glass Crafts
1. beach treasure jar. An old clear glass jar is a beautiful display for sand, shells, and sea glass.
2. embellished Mason jar. Mason jars are handy for holding all kinds of things decoratively, and they’re even more decorative when embellished with sea glass.
3. how to carve a heart into sea glass. Master the tutorial on drilling through sea glass, below, and then you can move on to hearts!
4. how to clean sea glass. It isn’t necessary, but it may help adhesives to stick to it.
5. how to drill through sea glass. Here’s a really thorough tutorial, with lots of photos to help you out.
6. how to transfer an image to sea glass. The translucency of sea glass makes this project particularly beautiful.
7. how to wire wrap sea glass. Don’t want to drill? Here’s how to wire wrap your piece.
8. mosaics. Sea glass is a beautiful material to add to any mosaic. Here’s how to mosaic cinderblocks to decorate a raised garden bed.
9. sea glass in a window. A coat of resin gives the sea glass longevity in this decorative window.
10. sea glass monogram. You just need sea glass, hot glue, and a shadow box.
11. sea glass place cards. Here’s what you need for your beach-themed wedding.
12. sea glass votive candle. This tutorial requires NO tools and NO glue!
13. sea glass windchimes. A piece of driftwood as the base lends authenticity to this project.
14. sea glass wreath. Have a very beachy Christmas!
15. soldered sea glass. Because you need one more way to make sea glass pendants!