Published on January 20th, 2009 | by Jackie Hernandez12
6 Sources for Organic and All-Natural Sewing Notions
Organic and green fabrics are growing in accessibility, but finding organic and all natural notions is still difficult. I have pulled together a list of 6 invaluable sources for the eco crafter.
- One of the best all around sources for eco-friendly fabrics and notions is Near Sea Naturals. They carry some of the easier to find necessities like wool and organic cotton batting, stuffing, organic twill tape, and bias tapes. But their outstanding, and still growing, selection of notions includes some harder to find notions like buttons of natural and recycled materials, natural elastic, snap tape and organic cording,organic cotton lace, and organic thread.
- The website is not so pretty, but Fiberactive Organics carries organic lace and organic thread. They also carry scrap bags of organic fabrics which are perfect for craft projects. Scrap Bags are sold for $10/lb and most scraps are larger than 6 inches square.
- Eurolaces carries a wide-selection of organic cotton lace, doilies, collars, and even thong backs.
- Bamboo batting and stuffing is available at the Bamboo Fabric Store. Before choosing bamboo fabric or notions be sure to read Fabulous Fabrics: Why Bamboo Often Isn’t.
- Organic Cotton Plus carries a small selection of notions including organic twill tape (3/4″), organic cotton batting, and organic cotton stuffing.
- PM Organics is worth mentioning as another source for organic thread, lace, and natural elastic, but as I write this post most of their notions are out of stock.
There is certainly still a lot of room for growth in the organic notions market, but there are still relatively few manufacturers that are making organic notions. Unfortunately, most of the organic notions available today are bland natural color. Hopefully in the near future us eco-crafters will at least be able to enjoy colored organic thread.